Pistorius trial: Court to rule on media houses application
The high court in Pretoria will make a ruling on Tuesday on an application by media houses to broadcast Oscar Pistorius's trial for the murder of Reeva Steenkamp.
The application to film the proceedings was brought by news channel eNCA, joined by media houses, MultiChoice and Eyewitness News.
Last week, Frank Snyckers SC, for MultiChoice and Eyewitness News, told the court that media would use technologically advanced equipment that was not obtrusive and was controlled remotely.
Snyckers said media houses secured the National Prosecuting Authority's support, but Pistorius's legal team opposed the application, arguing that broadcasting the events would lead to an unfair trial.
Barry Roux SC, for Pistorius, asked why his client's trial was not being treated like any other trial.
Pistorius is accused of killing Steenkamp, his girlfriend, in February last year. His trial is to be heard in the high court in Pretoria from March 3 to March 20.
A 24-hour TV channel dedicated to the trial will be launched on DSTV on March 2. – Sapa.