Thousands displaced after unrest in Darfur

Arson and looting by militia has displaced about 20 000 people in Sudan's Darfur, adding to the strain on agencies struggling to aid almost two million uprooted by 11 years of war.

International peacekeepers in the region said they were deeply concerned about a reported escalation of violence in South Darfur state during the past few days.

"The violence has resulted in the reported burning of a number of villages and the displacement of a large number of civilians in the vicinity of Um Gunya" about 50km southeast of the state capital Nyala, according to the African Union-UN Mission in Darfur (UNAMID).

Looting and civilian casualties have been reported, said UNAMID.

The UN's World Food Programme (WFP) said about 20 000 people had fled to safety at Saniya Deleiba, a village about 35km from Nyala.

"There's an estimated 20 000 new arrivals, most of whom are women and children," said WFP public information officer Amor Almagro.

A team is heading to the area on Tuesday to determine how many are in need. "At the same time we are also dispatching a convoy carrying 90 tonnes of food", a 15-day supply of sorghum and lentils, for the new arrivals, Almagro said.

Separate assessment teams were on Monday counting how many people have sought safety at the Kalma and Al-Salam camps for displaced people in the Nyala area, she added. "With all the displacements that are happening, these camps are finding themselves welcoming new arrivals," Almagro said.

Access denied
UNAMID said Sudanese authorities have not allowed peacekeepers into the conflict zone. "Peacekeepers have attempted to access the affected areas on several occasions, but have been denied passage by the authorities," the mission said.

The restriction is the latest of many cited by UNAMID, despite an agreement with the government that says peacekeepers have freedom of movement.

An 11-year-old rebellion by ethnic insurgents continues in Darfur but last year also saw a steep escalation of tribal conflicts and a rise in criminality, UNAMID has said.

Most of the "tribal" conflicts pitted well-armed Arab militias against each other.

Analysts say Sudan's cash-starved government can no longer control its former Arab tribal allies, whom it armed against the rebellion, and violent competition for resources has intensified.

Sources in the area told AFP that "all indications" are that so-called Rapid Support Forces appear to be behind the violence in Um Gunya. Those forces are a type of militia which the governor of North Kordofan state, Ahmed Haroun, ordered out of his territory last month.

War crimes
Haroun is wanted by the Hague-based International Criminal Court on 22 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity allegedly committed years ago in Darfur.

The official SUNA news agency quoted him as saying the Rapid Support Forces "did not undergo satisfactory training, came from pastoral communities, caused confrontations with citizens and instigated panic and anarchy" in his state.

Before reaching North Kordofan, the militia had been on operations in South Kordofan state, where a separate rebellion has been under way for almost three years.

The latest displacement of civilians in Darfur follows the uprooting of 380 000 people because of violence in the western region last year. That figure was more than in any year since 2004, at the height of the Darfur conflict, said Damian Rance, a public information officer with the UN's office for the coordination of humanitarian affairs.

In total, there are almost two million people displaced in Darfur, according to the UN. But as Sudan's humanitarian needs mounted, particularly in Darfur, the UN last year received just over half of the funding it requested, with world attention focused on other crises, the top UN official in Sudan, Ali Al-Za'tari, said in December. – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

‘Frustrated’ police resort to force

Regulation uncertainty leaves slap-happy police and soldiers to decide when people should or shouldn’t be allowed on the streets

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders