Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Pope Francis appoints first anti-child abuse panel members

Pope Francis on Saturday filled the initial positions of a committee against child abuse, which he had announced in December to tackle paedophilia scandals within the Catholic Church.

Francis chose a mixed team of eight prelates and lay experts.

They will have to draw up the statutes of the new panel, setting its tasks and competences, and recruit new members from around the world, the Vatican said.

"Pope Francis has made clear that the church must hold the protection of minors amongst her highest priorities," Vatican spokesperson Father Federico Lombardi said.

Boston Archbishop Sean Patrick O'Malley – one of the eight cardinals who advises the pope on wider church reforms, and who has been at the forefront of efforts to clean up the United States church after cases of child abuse – was the most senior appointee.

Jesuit Fathers Humberto Miguel Yanez of Argentina and Hans Zollner from Germany were also picked. Both are theology professors at the Vatican's Gregorian University, where Zollner organised a historic 2012 seminar on child sexual abuse.

The pope also appointed Irish campaigner Marie Collins, French child psychiatrist Catherine Bonnet, former Polish premier and human rights expert Hanna Suchocka, British baroness and mental health specialist Sheila Collins and Italian canon law professor Claudio Papale.

Tarnished reputation
The Catholic Church's reputation has for decades been tarnished by worldwide scandals about paedophile priests.

In February, UN experts accused it of "consistently" covering up internal cases of child abuse – a charge that the Vatican vehemently denied.

Earlier this month, Francis told Italian daily Corriere della Sera that abuses were "awful", but complained about unfair criticism, insisting that his predecessor, Benedict XVI, had initiated a "very courageous" clean-up process.

"The Catholic Church is perhaps the only public institution that moved with transparency and responsibility. No one else did as much. And yet, the church is the only one being attacked," he said.

The number of priests who have been defrocked after being accused of molesting children has increased dramatically in recent years and the Vatican has stiffened penalties in its legal code for sexual abuse against minors.

But campaigners say such steps do not go far enough. Groups like the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests want Francis to name and shame bishops who have covered up sex crimes and force priests to report all suspect cases to police. – Sapa-DPA

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×