Tongaat mall plans rejected four times

A commission of inquiry into the tongaat mall collapse heard on Thursday that plans for the construction were rejected four times.

Rajagopaul Naidoo, who heads up the municipality's development, applications and approvals department, said the plans for the earthworks were rejected four times for "issues that could have been rectified by the architect".

The plans were first rejected in March last year, and then again in May, July, and finally in August.


The commission heard the plans for the earthworks upon which the mall was to be built had been approved in principle by the municipality's land use department.

But because building was within 10m of a railway line, consent was needed from Transnet.

A building inspector had visited the site and approved the earthworks, but the required consent from Transnet was never obtained.

Naidoo said even if land use approval had been obtained, it did not mean that there had been approval from his department.

Referring to the actual structure that was to be the mall, Naidoo said: "To date there was no building plan submitted to our department."

A section of the mall, which was under construction, collapsed on November 19 last year. Two people died and 29 were injured.

Not enough time
Construction worker Siyabonga Zuma testified earlier he believed the concrete had been given enough time to cure, but the supports holding up the beams on which a concrete slab rested had been removed too soon.

"The scaffolding was taken down too quickly. It was needed elsewhere."

Zuma said that before removing the scaffolding and supports he had not noticed anything strange.

"There was only a small area that still needed to be stripped [on the day]. There were only supports under a beam."

The commission is headed by the department of labour's occupational health and safety manager Phumudzo Maphaha.

The inquiry continues. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Anger mounts after deadly Marseille building collapse

The structural risks of the buildings and others like them were widely known, but that city officials did little when alerted about them

Nigeria building collapse: ‘Obtaining DNA is extremely difficult’

Genetic testing to identify the remains of South Africans killed in the building collapse has not been easy, according to a new report.

Nigeria: Patients discharged from hospital after building collapse

Six people who were injured in the fatal accident have been released from an SA hospital and have been cleared of any dangerous infections.

TB Joshua’s church: Built, like others, on shifting sands

Scaffolding for hire is just a small sign of a large informal industry.

Smiles and prayers as Nigerians U-turn on co-operation

TB Joshua’s church has turned from attacking potential rescuers to helping them. So has Nigeria's government but it’s a case of too little too late.

Nigerian president visits collapsed building site, vows to investigate

President Goodluck Jonathan has vowed to investigate the cause of a building collapse, which has left at least 86 dead.
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Fifteen witnesses for vice-chancellor probe

Sefako Makgatho University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Mbati had interdicted parliament last month from continuing with the inquiry

Constitutional Court ruling on restructuring dispute is good for employers

A judgment from the apex court empowers employers to change their workers’ contracts — without consultation

Audi Q8: Perfectly cool

The Audi Q8 is designed to be the king in the elite SUV class. But is it a victim of its own success?

KZN officials cash in on ‘danger pay for Covid-19’

Leadership failures at Umdoni local municipality in KwaZulu-Natal have caused a ‘very unhappy’ ANC PEC to fire the mayor and chief whip
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday