Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Madiba opera producer: R2.86m is ‘not enough’

The more than R2-million grant allocated by the National Lotteries Board of South Africa (NLB) is too little to cover the costs of a stage play about the life of former president Nelson Mandela, a producer said on Tuesday.

“The amount [R2.86-million] is not enough to cover the costs for the show and tours. We had no choice but to postpone it and find other avenues to raise funding,” said producer Unathi Mtirara, who is also Mandela’s grandnephew.

The NLB paid out the R2.86-million on Monday.

The opera play, titled Madiba: The African Opera, tells the early life of the anti-apartheid icon who died last year.

Mtirara said the NLB had agreed to grant the R11.8-million requested by the producers of the show in partnership with the African Cultural Organisation of South Africa (Acosa).

Funding U-turn
“Two weeks ago, we received correspondence from the NLB. They had made a U-turn and said that the original amount would be cut to R2-million,” said Mtirara. “We have a cast of over 200 people. The R2-million covers only the cost for the three shows we did at Pretoria’s State Theatre, hence the postponement.”

The show was supposed to move from Pretoria to Qunu in the Eastern Cape before touring South Africa and then moving overseas.

On Monday, NLB spokesperson Sershan Naidoo denied that the board had approved Mtirara’s request for R11.8-million and then decided to reduce the amount. “We deal with written contracts and not verbal agreements. The contract signed by the producers and Acosa states clearly that R2.86-million was agreed upon and approved.”

Naidoo said the board was not in a position to fund the entire amount because of a limited budget.

Kutlwano Masote, the musical director of the production, said the cast and crew would be paid for the three shows that took place in Pretoria.

“We want to thank the cast, crew and all suppliers who continued to work tirelessly over the weekend with the knowledge that they would only be paid when funding came in,” Masote said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Hospitals near capacity: What the new Covid-19 restrictions mean for...

After a dramatic surge in Covid-19 infections, President Ramaphosa has brought the country back to level three restrictions

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×