Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Motshekga to challenge textbook ruling

The basic education department will approach the Constitutional Court to appeal against a ruling over the delivery of school textbooks in Limpopo.

“I can confirm that we are appealing the judgment,” department spokesperson Troy Martens said on Monday. 

On May 5, the high court in Pretoria ruled that the department violated pupils’ rights to education by failing to deliver textbooks in the province. 

Judge Neil Tuchten said the delivery of textbooks to “certain learners but not others cannot constitute fulfillment of the right”.

“[The Constitution’s] Section 29(1)(a) confers the right of a basic education to everyone. If there is one learner who is not timeously provided with her textbooks, her right has been infringed,” the judgment said.

At the end of March, and as a last resort to get outstanding textbooks delivered to schools, Basic Education For All (Befa) launched legal action against the department.

The organisation comprises principals, school governing body members and concerned community members with the aim of standing up for pupils’ rights. 

Department’s promise
The department has promised to deliver textbooks it had failed to deliver since 2012 by June 6. Befa and organisation Section27 had asked for a court order to this effect, but Tuchten did not make the agreement between the parties on the delivery date for textbooks an order of court.

Senior counsel for the department, Chris Erasmus, previously argued that only about 2.2% of the seven-million textbooks had not been delivered. He told the court the textbooks were not delivered because of budgetary constraints and principals not informing it of shortages. 

Befa member Bruno Mabuza saidthe organisation has been “trying to tell the department about these textbook problems since Befa started. It doesn’t make sense to me why we even have to come to court over textbooks … basics … We wouldn’t be here if we didn’t think it was necessary.” – Sapa; additional reporting by Faranaaz Veriava

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Sapa
Guest Author
Victoria John
Victoria studied journalism, specialising in photojournalism, at Rhodes University from 2004 to 2007. After traveling around the US and a brief stint in the UK she did a year's internship at The Independent on Saturday in Durban. She then worked as a reporter for the South African Press Association for a year before joining the Mail & Guardian as an education reporter in August 2011.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Fishing subsidies in the W. Cape: ‘Illegal fishing is our...

Fishers claim they are forced into illegal trawling because subsidies only benefit big vessels

Kenya’s beach boys fall into sex tourism, trafficking

In the face of their families’ poverty, young men, persuaded by the prospect of wealth or education, travel to Europe with their older female sponsors only to be trafficked for sex

High court reinstates Umgeni Water board

The high court has ruled that the dissolution of the water entity’s board by Minister Lindiwe Sisulu was unfair and unprocedural
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×