Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Three held for public violence after Lwandle evictions

Three people were arrested for public violence on Tuesday during evictions in Lwandle, outside Cape Town, Western Cape police said.

“Three people have been arrested because of alleged public violence. The situation has cleared since this morning … and the situation is quiet at this stage,” said Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Traut.

Earlier in the day, petrol bombs were thrown and tyres set alight and the situation was described as “tense”. “We are policing the eviction notice being carried out by the sheriff of the court,” Traut said at the time.

Another seven people were arrested on Monday for public violence, and three petrol bombs confiscated.

The violence began on Monday following the enforcement of an eviction order. It was granted to the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), owner of the land, by the high court in Cape Town earlier this year.

Democratic Alliance (DA) national spokesperson Phumzile van Damme said the ANC blaming the party for the evictions was nothing short of cheap and petty politicking. “It is entirely disingenuous and in no way accurate,” she said in a statement.

“Yesterday [Monday], Sanral, a national state entity, through the Sheriff of the Court enforced an interdict against people occupying land owned by it.”

She said responsibility for the evictions lay squarely with Sanral and the national transport department, who sought the court interdict themselves and who owned the land in question.

Earlier, ANC national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa claimed the eviction was punishment for the community not voting for the DA in the May 7 general elections.

“The ANC condemns the eviction … by the Cape Town metro without being given alternative accommodation as required by the law,” he said in a statement. “This is tantamount to undermining democracy and the freedom of choice by the DA metro.”

Van Damme said beyond Sanral and the transport department being responsible for the evictions, Transport Minister Dipuo Peters was nowhere to be seen, as her department remained silent on the issue. “Both Sanral and the department must answer for their unwillingness to take reasonable steps to ensure that the eviction occurs in a manner that does not rob people of their security and dignity,” she said.

“As such, the ANC would do well to familiarise themselves with the facts of this issue and redirect their condemnation to the national government, which they have just been elected to govern.”

Kodwa said the ANC had asked the national transport and human settlements departments to intervene.

Congress of South African Trade Unions’ provincial secretary Tony Ehrenreich said it was outraged by the treatment of those who built their homes on the Sanral land. “The police are clearly guilty of abuse in the manner in which people have been treated during this eviction operation,” he said in a statement.

People should be given alternate land to build their houses on, in the event of them having to move off land for whatever legitimate reason, he said. “Where do the authorities expect people to go when there are no alternatives for them, and this in the middle of winter?” he said. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

First-of-its-kind rangeland atlas pushes for protection

Rangelands are ‘nature’s gift to humanity’, but have been overlooked, neglected

More top stories

Court refused murder-acused Kilian’s application for particulars, bail dates are...

Zane Kilian has been denied further information into the charges against him, which include murder, unlawful interception of communications and fraud

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

MKMVA accuse top six of being factional in collapsed meeting

A defiant MKMVA has vowed it is business as usual, after a meeting with the top six ended with the military veterans being kicked out of the virtual platform

Gumede graft trial likely to begin only in July next...

The state has added racketeering to the charges faced by the former eThekwini mayor and 21 others, but logistics are likely to delay their trial until mid-2022
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×