Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Kenyans warned to watch World Cup from home to avoid terror

Don’t watch the World Cup at bars, restaurants or large parties, the Kenyan government warned its citizens on Friday. Instead, officials suggested, watch the tournament “from the comfort of” home.

The warning to avoid crowds and “be cautious and vigilant” during screenings of World Cup matches comes during a heightened threat of terrorism in Kenya. 

Al-Shabab militants from Somalia four years ago bombed two World Cup viewing locations in neighboring Kampala, Uganda, killing more than 70 people.

Kenya has seen a wave of terror attacks over the last six months, and experts have warned that attacks could take place against World Cup crowds.

Kenya’s Interior Ministry said its citizens shouldn’t watch matches at “unprotected open places.”

“Although the government has beefed up security in all parts of the country, bars and restaurant owners are at the same time notified to maintain a high sense of security and vigilance in their premises,” the government said in a press release.

The warning comes five days after gunmen slaughtered some 50 people in a coastal Kenyan town while World Cup matches were playing on TV. On Wednesday a bomb exploded at a World Cup viewing site in northeastern Nigeria, killing 14 people.

The US State Department on Friday issued a new warning about the risks of travel to Kenya because of terrorism and high crime. It said that due to recent changes in Kenya’s security situation, the embassy is relocating some staff to other countries. The US Embassy has recently increased security, including putting armed Marines on the roof behind sandbag bunkers.

Targets
Earlier this month the embassy warned citizens in Kenya to “exercise caution” at venues with World Cup crowds. The British government warned that in Nigeria “terrorists have previously targeted places where football matches are being viewed.” Ugandan police and the US Embassy in Kampala have issued alerts about impending attacks.

Bars and restaurants in Kenya have reported smaller than average crowds during this year’s World Cup compared with previous tournament periods.

World Cup screening venues in 10 countries – Nigeria, Somalia, Kenya, Iraq, Tanzania, Uganda, Djibouti, Burundi, Ethiopia, Tunisia – face risk of attack, according to Robert Besseling, the lead Africa analyst at the consulting firm IHS Country Risk.

Kenya’s security forces shot and killed five people suspected of killing 60 residents in two nighttime attacks on a coastal town this week, the Kenyan Interior Ministry said Friday.

The ministry said Friday that Kenya’s police inspector general was on the country’s Indian Ocean coast to oversee the process of taking fingerprints from the dead suspects to help identify them. The ministry said three AK-47 assault rifles and ammunition were also recovered.

Attackers killed about 50 people in Mpeketoni, a coastal town, on Sunday night as World Cup matches were playing on TV. Ten more people were killed in a second night of attacks.

Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has blamed political forces inside Kenya for the attack, despite the fact that the Somali militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility. – Sapa-AP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Sapa Ap
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Capitec Bank flies high above Viceroy’s arrow

The bank took a knock after being labelled a loan shark by the short seller, but this has not stymied its growth

Zondo may miss chief justice cut

The deputy chief justice is said to top Ramaphosa’s list but his position as head of the state capture commission is seen as too politically fraught

More top stories

Council wants Hawks, SIU probe into BAT’s Zimbabwe scandal

The cigarette maker has been accused of giving up to $500 000 in bribes and spying on competitors

How Alpha Condé overthrew Alpha Condé

Since the coup d’état, Guinea’s head of state has been in the custody of the military officers. But it was the president who was the primary architect of his own downfall

‘The Making of Mount Edgecombe’: A view of history from...

Indian indentured labourers’ lives are celebrated in a new book, Sugar Mill Barracks: The Making of Mount Edgecombe

Case of men arrested with 19 rhino horns is postponed

Alleged rhino kingpin and a Mpumalanga businessman appeared in court on charges of the illegal possession and selling of rhino horns
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×