Lonmin sells shares to meet BEE deadline

Lonmin said it will increase ownership by black South Africans as the platinum producer seeks to meet the country’s year-end deadline for 26% of stock to be held by locals.

Lonmin will pay the Bapo ba Mogale traditional community R564-million to waive its rights to royalty payments from the miner’s two operating companies, together known as Lonplats, the Johannesburg-based producer said in a statement on Wednesday.

The Bapo will use those funds to buy about 13-million Lonmin shares and the company will transfer 0.9% in the two mining units to a development trust, it said. Lonmin’s Eastern Platinum will buy 7.5% in its Pandora venture with Anglo American Platinum from the community.

The transactions will increase “the black economic empowerment status of Lonplats by 3.3%,” the company said. Lonmin plans to further implement community and employee ownership trusts that will “collectively hold the 4.7% balance of the additional 8% equity empowerment” the company needs to attain by December 31, it said.

South Africa enacted a Mining Charter in 2004, compelling operators to sell 26% of their local assets to black citizens by 2014 as a way to eradicate the wealth disparities created during white segregationist rule, which ended in 1994.


Black citizens held 18% of Lonmin’s assets before these transactions, company spokesperson Sue Vey said by phone.

The Bapo ba Mogale would be required to retain the shares for at least 10 years, and the R149-million the community will be paid for this is included in the transaction price, Lonmin said. The group is also due R20-million in each of the next five years “to pay the administrative costs of running, controlling and directing the affairs of the Bapo,” the company said.

The transactions and the proposed share-ownership plan are expected to be completed in the final quarter of 2014, Lonmin said.– Bloomberg

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Andre Janse
Guest Author
Van Vuuren
Guest Author

Related stories

Black construction businesses sidelined

When it comes to mega infrastructure projects, it is still the mega white-owned companies who score government contracts

Marikana murder trial resumes

The eight-year battle for justice played out its next round in the Mahikeng high court this week

Unethical businesses will face people’s protest

Companies must behave like model democratic citizens if they are to earn and retain society’s social licence to operate

South Africa must flatten the inequality curve

We cannot return to the pre-coronavirus crisis of unemployment, inequality and poverty. There is a moral incentive for the rich to give up some of their wealth and for the salaries of top earning civil servants, employees at state-owned entities and in the private sector to be cut

Engineer our way out of policies that cause corruption and inefficiency

The bidding process and black economic empowerment has backfired, resulting in deficient construction projects

Steenhuisen is a shoo-in as DA leader, but he needs help

The biggest challenge for the next leader of the Democratic Alliance will be to get politicians like Mbali Ntuli onside
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

Sudan’s government gambles over fuel-subsidy cuts — and people pay...

Economists question the manner in which the transitional government partially cut fuel subsidies

Traditional healers need new spaces

Proper facilities supported by well-researched cultural principles will go a long way to improving the image and perception of the practice of traditional medicine

Did Botswana execute ‘poachers’ ?

The Botswana Defence Force’s anti-poaching unit has long been accused of a ‘shoot to kill’ policy. Over 20 years the unit has killed 30 Namibians and 22 Zimbabweans

Limpopo big-game farmer accused of constant harassment

A family’s struggle against alleged intimidation and failure to act by the authorities mirrors the daily challenges farm dwellers face
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…