Department denies SA’s involvement in Lesotho

Spokesperson Siphiwe Dlamini said that as “far as [he] was aware” there had been “none whatsoever” – in terms of reports that South African soldiers had assisted in bringing down an alleged mutiny.

Dlamini was responding to an article in the Sunday Times newspaper under the headline “SA special forces foil Lesotho coup”.

The article reported that South African National Defence Force (SANDF) troops – based in Phalaborwa, Limpopo – had entered the country on Friday – along with a group of diplomats. The article said a pre-dawn raid had then been carried out on Saturday in Maseru to assist Lesotho Prime Minister Tom Thabane to flee the country into South Africa.

“I’m not sure that the reports from the Sunday Times are accurate. This matter is at a much higher level than just the defence force,” said Dlamini.

He said the matter would be dealt with by the Southern African Development Community.

Dlamini said the South Africa government continued to “monitor the situation”.

On Saturday, a Lesotho goverment minister told Agence France-Presse that Lesotho’s military had seized control of police headquarters and the premier’s residence in the capital Maseru in the early hours of Saturday but later withdrew.

“The armed forces, the special forces of Lesotho, have taken the headquarters of the police,” sports minister and leader of the Basotho National Party, Thesele Maseribane, told the news agency at the time.

Feared for his life
Thabane told the BBC on Saturday that he had fled to South Africa in fear of his life.

“I have been removed from control not by the people but by the armed forces, and that is illegal,” he was quoted as saying.

However, Lesotho defence force spokesperson Ntlele Ntoi told the Associated Press that the military’s operation was carried out to disarm the police as intelligence had suggested they were planning to arm certain political parties at a demonstration planned for Monday.

According to the news agency, Ntoi denied that their actions were an attempted coup.

On Saturday, South Africa’s department of international relations said it was not immediately sending troops to Lesotho and said diplomacy should be given a chance.

Meanwhile, on Sunday, Archbishop Thabo Makgoba of Cape Town issued a statement in which he called for prayers for Lesotho and for violence to be avoided.

“The situation is ugly,” he said. – Sapa

An actual Black Friday deal

Subscribe for R2/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

SANParks shifts to solar and spekboom

Solar-generated pumps are pumping larger volumes of water for wildlife than diesel used to, and spekboom is helping offset carbon emissions

Mandatory vaccination on cards as Ramaphosa keeps South Africa on...

Ramaphosa calls out world leaders for irrational travel bans as scientists gather evidence on new Omicron variant

South Africa’s just energy transition: A balancing act

South Africa’s transition to renewables will depend on its ability to attract sustained energy investments

Western Union suspends services in Mozambique’s Cabo Delgado

It is now considerably more difficult for Mozambicans in the conflict-hit province to use financial services
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×