NFL: We didn’t see Ray Rice video until it went online

As questions arose about how the NFL investigated domestic violence allegations against Ray Rice, commissioner Roger Goodell said on Tuesday the league asked for, but was not given, video showing the ex-Ravens running back punching his then-fiancée in an elevator.

Goodell told CBS that “no one in the NFL, to my knowledge” had seen a new video of what happened on the elevator until it was posted online. “We assumed that there was a video. We asked for video. But we were never granted that opportunity,” Goodell said. 

Two videos, one released by TMZ Sports and another shown later to the Associated Press by a law enforcement official, show Rice punching Janay Palmer – who is now his wife – at an Atlantic City casino in February. They are graphic, and show more detail than an initial video released by TMZ in July that showed him dragging her from an elevator. 

Ray Rice — ELEVATOR KNOCKOUT … Fiancee Takes Crushing Punch [Video] – Watch More Celebrity Videos or Subscribe


After the latest TMZ video made its way around the internet, the Ravens cut Rice and the league barred him indefinitely. But the video renewed criticism about the NFL’s decision to initially suspend Rice for just two games, and raised questions about how strenuously the case was investigated. 

Goodell has previously said he “didn’t get it right” with Rice and the league set up new penalties for domestic violence: a six-game suspension for a first offence and at least a year for a second. “I would tell you that what we saw in the first videotape was troubling to us, in and of itself,” Goodell said. “But what we saw yesterday was extremely clear, is extremely graphic, and it was sickening. And that’s why we took the action we took yesterday.”

Let Rice go
In the videos that surfaced on Monday, Rice and Palmer are seen hitting each other before he knocks her off her feet and into a railing. The higher-quality video shown to the AP shows Rice made no attempt to cover up what happened. 

After Palmer collapses, he drags her out of the elevator and is met by some hotel staff. Someone is heard saying, “She’s drunk, right?” And then, “No cops.” Rice didn’t respond. The video was shown to the AP on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorised to release it. Palmer defended her husband on her Instagram account on Tuesday, saying that barring Rice from playing football is “horrific” and that making the couple “relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing”. 

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he met with owner Steve Bisciotti, team president Dick Cass and general manager Ozzie Newsome after they saw the TMZ video, and they made the decision to let Rice go. 

The action represented a complete reversal for the team, which had initially supported Rice. Rice had been charged with felony aggravated assault in the case, but in May he was accepted into a pretrial intervention programme that allowed him to avoid jail time and could lead to the charge being purged from his record. 

A prominent New Jersey lawmaker called on Tuesday for that decision to be reviewed. In a letter to fans, Bisciotti said the team should have done more to get the video as the investigation continued, and it was a “mistake” not to. He said the team tried to get the video from both the casino and law enforcement, but the casino wouldn’t share it and that authorities refused. 

Lose income
It is common for law enforcement to decline to release evidence when an investigation is ongoing. “We should have seen it earlier. We should have pursued our own investigation more vigorously,” the letter said. “We didn’t and we were wrong.” Rice (27) has not spoken publicly since the team cut him, and his lawyer, Michael Diamondstein, declined to comment when contacted by the AP. 

Rice stood to make $4-million this year. In addition to his salary, he’ll also lose income from canceled endorsement deals. Nike announced it has severed its business ties with him, and video game publisher Electronic Arts said it would scrub Rice’s image from their latest Madden ’15 release. 

In his last public statement this summer, he expressed regret: “I let so many people down because of 30 seconds of my life that I know I can’t take back.” – Sapa-AP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa Ap
Guest Author

Related stories

Kaepernick fronts Nike’s ‘Just Do It’ ad campaign

Kaepernick triggered a political firestorm after kneeling during the US national anthem in 2016 to protest racial injustice

NFL to fine players for ‘taking a knee’

The new guidelines will see all NFL employees and players stand for the duration of the national anthem

Meet Gerhard De Beer, SA’s aspiring NFL star

The 23-year-old from Pretoria has just signed a professional contract with the Buffalo Bills

Hamilton to bring the heat

The driver plans to nab another title, as long as high temperatures handicap his competition

Colin Kaeparnick files grievance claiming owners collusion

​Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who began the kneeling protest during US anthems has filed a collusion grievance against the NFL.

WATCH: Trump’s row with NFL players intensifies

​US President Donald Trump's row with the National Football League shows no sign of ending.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday