ANC: M&G story on newspaper ad cuts ‘mischievous’

A report that top newspapers are being punished for insulting President Jacob Zuma is mischievous, ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said on Friday.

“The allegation is wrong and mischievous. It suggests that government cannot consider austerity measures in relation to media buying,” Kodwa said, adding: “Government has a right cut costs where it can.”

The Mail & Guardian reported on Friday that the government intended implementing a plan to “starve” the Sunday Times, Mail & Guardian, and City Press of advertising worth millions of rands. 

An unnamed government official was quoted as saying the three newspapers had been sustaining “an anti-ANC and anti-government onslaught” on the “democratic state”.

The newspaper reported that the biggest beneficiary of the switch in advertising would be Independent Newspapers, under the ownership of Iqbal Surve. Kodwa said austerity measures were announced during former finance minister Pravin Gordhan’s term of office, and said the government had undertaken to cut wasteful expenditure and spend less on non-essentials.


“That began long ago. The allegation can’t be made now.” Kodwa said the accusation that the three newspapers were being punished was false. “We are a democracy. We even support those that disagree with us. It is not so that this is because of punishment. Our government will never take such a position,” he said.

“But government has a right to cut costs in terms of value for money, under austerity measures. There is also nothing wrong if government consolidates media buying-power.”

‘Muthambi must defend policy’
In a statement, Democratic Alliance MP Gavin Davis said that if the allegation was true, it amounted to political and advertising blackmail.

“This is not the first time that government has attempted to blackmail newspapers into reporting favourably on the ANC and its performance in government,” said Davis. 

He demanded that Communications Minister Faith Muthambi confirm or deny the M&G report. “If she does not, she will confirm, once and for all, that her new department is the ‘ministry of propaganda’ we have been warning about,” said Davis. 

“If government is planning to withhold advertising from newspapers on the basis of their reportage, Minister Muthambi must come out and defend the policy.”– Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapaxxxx
Guest Author

Related stories

Thank you for supporting our journalism

Thank you for buying our newspaper. Siyabonga, re a leboga, enkosi, dankie. You are why our newsroom can keep doing good journalism

Kaya FM whistle-blowers say they are being victimised

Former and current employees claim the radio station’s management has begun a witch-hunt to weed out whistleblowers after reports of financial and sexual misconduct

M&G is most trusted weekly news brand

In a poll by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, based at Oxford University, the Mail & Guardian emerged as the most trusted weekly publication in South Africa

We do what we do because of you

Sipho Kings has been appointed the acting editor-in-chief of the Mail & Guardian

‘Exactly where I was meant to be’

As I reflect on my time as editor amid today’s uncertain world, one thing is certain: the M&G’s importance in our media landscape

Former SAA executive denies spying allegations

Vuyo Tuku says he was never accused of spying even when SAA sent charges to him
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Q&A Sessions: ‘My north star is the patient’

Rhulani Nhlaniki is Pfizer’s cluster lead for sub-Saharan Africa. As Pfizer starts phase III of the clinical trial of their Covid-19 vaccine candidate, he tells Malaikah Bophela that if it is successful, the company will ensure the vaccine will be available to everyone who needs it

Ghost fishing gear an ‘immortal menace’ in oceans

Lost and illegal tackle is threatening marine life and the lives of people making a living from the sea

In terms of future-telling failures, this is a Major One

Bushiri knows how to pull a crowd. Ace knows a ponzi scheme. Paddy Harper predicts that a new prophet may profit at Luthuli House

Facebook, Instagram indiscriminately flag #EndSars posts as fake news

Fact-checking is appropriate but the platforms’ scattershot approach has resulted in genuine information and messages about Nigerians’ protest against police brutality being silenced
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday