Korkie family to use R1.7m donation for ‘fresh start’

The R1.7-million that was raised to help kidnap victim Pierre Korkie and his family after his expected release in Yemen, will now assist his widow and children start afresh, a family spokesman said on Saturday.

“It’s Yolande and the two kids [left] and they have to make a fresh start,” said Daan Nortier. “A trust has been created to give it [the money] a new life.” Korkie and American photographer Luke Somers were killed during an attempt by US special forces to free them from their Al-Qaeda captors in Yemen on December 6.

At the time, the South African charity, the Gift of the Givers, had already negotiated his imminent release. Korkie and Yolande were kidnapped by Al-Qaeda militants in Taiz, Yemen, last May. Yolande was released on January 10 and returned to South Africa on January 13.

Previously, the kidnappers had demanded about R32.5-million ransom in exchange for Korkie’s safe return.

Not ransom money
However, Nortjie said on Saturday that, according to the final agreement that Gift of the Givers had reached with his captors, the money raised in South Africa had not been needed to secure his freedom. “[The R1.7 million] was not a ransom to negotiate the release.”


Instead, he said, the donations had always been allocated to assist with Pierre Korkie’s return and the family’s resettlement in South Africa – since the family had previously been based in Yemen. 

Nortier said that the money had already been sent to Yemen before Korkie was killed, but that it was now available for the family in South Africa. The family’s spokesperson said that Yolande, son Pieter-Ben, age 17, and fifteen-year-old daughter Lize-Marie, were still in “terrible shock” but were being supported with “vast love … from all over”.

“Yolande is a woman of faith and she is being borne by her faith,” he said.

At the time of the kidnappings, Korkie was a teacher in Yemen, while his wife did relief work in hospitals. Korkie’s body was repatriated back to South Africa earlier this month. The family subsequently held a memorial service in Bloemfontein, before he was buried in a private ceremony. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African connection: How mercenaries aided Trump ally in...

The UN found that Trump ally Erik Prince violated the Libyan arms embargo. Here are the South Africans the report says helped him to do so

Q&A Sessions: African court ‘will be a tough job’ — Dumisa...

Lawyer, author and political activist Dumisa Ntsebeza talks to Nicolene de Wee about his appointment as judge of the African Court on Human and...

More top stories

In a bizarre twist VBS liquidators sue KPMG for R863mn

In filed court documents, the VBS liquidators are blaming auditing firm KPMG’s negligence for the alleged looting of the bank

Snip, snip: Mboweni eyes wage bill, other future spending cuts

Last year, the finance minister noted that increased government spending has failed to promote growth over the past decade

Budget: Mboweni pegs recovery hopes on vaccine efficacy, lower public...

The treasury forecasts 3.3% growth, but warns this will fall to 1.6% if the fledgeling vaccination programme fails to stem successive Covid waves

READ IT IN FULL: Mboweni’s 2021 budget speech

Read the finance minister's address on the budget for 2021
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…