Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Charges against two Guptagate accused dropped

All charges against Lieutenant Colonel Stephan van Zyl and Lieutenant Colonel Christine Anderson have been withdrawn, the South African National Defence Union (Sandu) said on Tuesday.

“The military prosecuting authorities have today informed the attorneys of indicted Air Force officers in the Guptagate matter, that all charges are forthwith withdrawn and, therefore, no prosecution will commence against them,” National Secretary Pikkie Greeff said in a statement.

Anderson and Van Zyl were accused of being involved in the landing of a private jet carrying guests to a wedding for wealthy business family the Guptas, at the Waterkloof Air Force base in Tshwane.

“Sandu confirms that both officers have already provided instructions to the Sandu legal team to immediately institute civil law suits against all the state organs which were involved in implicating them.”

The legal team had earlier on Tuesday “demanded” that Van Zyl be reinstated.

The Department of Defence (DOD) said in a media statement that it “can confirm that all charges related to the two officers on their alleged involvement in the landing of a private jet at Air Force Base Waterkloof, have been withdrawn”.

The DOD is awaiting a full report from the director of military prosecutions before any further comment.

Contravening code 
Colonel Nomsa Khumalo, Lieutenant Colonel Christo Van Zyl, Lieutenant Colonel Christine Anderson, and Warrant Officer Thabo Ntshisi appeared in the military court at the Thaba Tshwane military base in Pretoria, 2013.

They were charged with contravening various sections of the military defence code.

The charges related to the landing of the Gupta family’s private aircraft at the Waterkloof Air Force Base.

A chartered commercial aircraft, Jet Airways flight JAI 9900 from India, ferrying more than 200 guests to the wedding of Vega Gupta and Aakash Jahajgarhia, landed at the base in April 2013.

The passengers were then transported, either by light aircraft, helicopter or in police-escorted vehicles, to the ceremony at Sun City’s Palace of the Lost City in North West.

The landing sparked widespread criticism and several investigations were launched. 

A government investigation exonerated President Jacob Zuma and his ministers, and found that the landing was the result of “collusion by officials”. – Sapa

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and access the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. To follow the news, sign up to our daily elections newsletter for the latest updates and analysis.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, you can a full year’s access for just R510. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Sapaxxxx
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Andries Tatane’s spirit will drive fight against ANC in Ficksburg

The nascent Setsoto Service Delivery Forum is confident it can remove the ‘failing ANC’ in the chronically mismanaged Free State municipality

Paddy Harper: On gleeful politicians and headless chickens

Paddy Harper doesn’t know who to vote for yet, since the Dagga Party isn’t contesting his ward, but right now what to order for lunch is a more pressing concern

Malema: ANC will use load-shedding to steal votes

While on the campaign trail in the Eastern Cape, EFF leader Julius Malema, without evidence, claimed the ANC was planning to use rolling blackouts to ‘steal votes’

Khaya Koko: The looting isn’t over until the fat belly...

A song about Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane preventing looting was way off the mark in a province riddled with corruption and theft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×