Foreign businesses clause in bill could be unconstitutional

Section 20 of the Private Security Industry Regulation Amendment Bill could be unconstitutional, the Security Industry Alliance (SIA) said on Thursday.

The section requires foreign-owned security companies operating in the country to have a local shareholding of at least 51%.

“The process by which it was introduced was flawed. It was parachuted at the last minute, without notice or consultations,” SIA chief executive Steve Conradie told reporters in Johannesburg.

“It will be in breach of South Africa’s international trade obligations, it is damaging to local and foreign investment in South Africa.”

The bill, passed by Parliament in February last year, aims to limit foreign ownership in security companies.


Conradie said given the complex nature of the private sector, it would be impractical to measure foreign ownership, to nationalise and transfer 51% ownership to locals.

“A number of foreign embassies and trade experts have expressed in writing their acute concerns that the forced transfer … will not only be regarded as an abrogation of South Africa’s international trade agreements … but will also have a profoundly negative effect on international investor sentiment towards South Africa.”

Conradie said the SIA was, however, encouraged by the ongoing dialogue with Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko to resolve the matter.

The bill was presently awaiting President Jacob Zuma’s signature.

“We have asked him to review it … We are hopeful that the president will refer the bill back to Parliament for the removal of Section 20.”

The SIA is the biggest employer for entry-level jobs in South Africa. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday