Signal jamming won’t happen again, says Zuma

President Jacob Zuma assured editors on Friday that the jamming of cellphone networks in Parliament will not happen again.

“Rest assured that will never happen again and we did not know about it and we are condemning it. It was uncalled for,” he said after a meeting with the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) at the presidential guesthouse in Pretoria.

Zuma said it was important that he met editors to make sure it did not happen again.

On February 12, before Zuma delivered his State of the Nation Address, journalists and some MPs protested that cellphone signals were being blocked in Parliament.

The signals were restored after National Assembly Speaker Baleka Mbete asked Secretary to Parliament Gengezi Mgidlana to look into the matter.

‘Tactical measures’
On Thursday, State Security Minister David Mahlobo said glitches with “counter-surveillance tactical measures” had led to the mobile signal disruptions on the day.

Sanef chairperson Mpumelelo Mkhabela said on Friday Zuma had expressed government’s regret at what happened.

Sanef also made the president aware that editors had tried to talk to government officials before the start of his address, but that they “didn’t get positive feedback”.

“He was not aware of that and made it very clear that that should be criticised,” Mkhabela said.

“Government should be able to respond when concerns are raised and… we agreed that things should always be resolved the South African way, through negotiations and conversations …”

Taking Zuma’s word
Mkhabela said Sanef was happy with its discussion with Zuma.

Sanef had also briefed him on issues encountered in Parliament about the broadcasting feed. Sanef would meet Parliament’s presiding officers about this.

“There was no need for the president’s state-of-the-nation address to be disturbed, for the first time in history, because cellphone signals were not working,” Mkhabela said.

“It is an issue we could have addressed early, as he correctly pointed out, and it’s regrettable and will never happen again and we take his word for it.”

Zuma said the meeting also discussed the relationship between government and the media in general, and a number of issues were agreed on.

“We should better the relationship and be able to communicate as often as possible … We are all patriots of the country and we want to promote the country,” he said. – Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Mkhwebane would not hear of Gupta links to Estina: witness

The suspended public protector told him she would pleased if the probe into the scam delivered no adverse findings, Reginald Ndou tells inquiry

Editorial: The ANC won’t listen to its own conscience, the...

The party’s top officials seem to have no real inclination to follow through with the integrity commission’s recommendations on corruption

Nxesi: The changing definition of work demands a review of...

The labour minister noted many informal workers had been excluded from the country’s Covid-19 relief scheme

Tazné van Wyk murder accused admits to absconding parole

Moyhdian Pangkaeker evaded the justice system for about four years during which time he twice absconded while on parole. He faces 27 charges, 24 of which he allegedly committed while on parole.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×