Cape Town scales back ‘Herculean’ firefighting efforts

The firefighting efforts in the South Peninsula have been scaled back, the City of Cape Town said on Thursday.

“Firefighters are continuing to monitor hotspots for flare-ups in the South Peninsula this morning,” mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith said in a statement.

“Currently, 10 ground crews continue to manage the situation in Constantia. A few ground crews are also on duty in Clovelly and along Boyes Drive, between Lakeside and Kalk Bay.”

He said a stop/go system was in place on Boyes Drive. However, Chapman’s Peak Drive remained closed because it was “unsafe” for road users.

The fire started on Sunday and was contained but – fanned by strong winds – it flared up again just after 2am on Monday in Muizenberg, above Boyes Drive.


It then spread to Ou Kaapse Weg, Chapman’s Peak, Hout Bay, and Tokai.

Smith said the city’s fire safety division confirmed on Wednesday that 13 properties had been affected by the fire. These included the Tintswalo Lodge at the foot of Chapman’s Peak.

Three of the properties – two in Constantia and one in Noordhoek – have been completely destroyed.

A Herculean effort
“The City of Cape Town firefighter who sustained burn wounds to his hands and face on Monday is recovering in hospital and should be discharged tomorrow to recuperate further at home,” said Smith.

He said another firefighter twisted his ankle, while a volunteer from Working on Fire broke her arm.

“I want to wish these staff members a speedy recovery and thank them and their colleagues for what has been a truly Herculean effort – from those staff members on the frontlines to staff behind the scenes, coordinating resources and helping us communicate with the public.

“Also, we’re enormously grateful to the residents of Cape Town for their support and encouragement, as well as the volunteers who signed up in their numbers to help out,” said Smith.

He said during the next few days mopping up activities and an assessment of the total damages and cost of the operations would be done.

Forensic investigators would also determine, where possible, the cause of the fires.

Aftermath
By Wednesday, a total of 500 people had been evacuated since the fire began. Fifty two frail care residents from a Noordhoek retirement village were treated for smoke inhalation.

More than 2 000 people helped to quell the fire on Wednesday, the environmental affairs department said at the time. About two million litres of water had been dumped on the fire.

However, the helicopters used to water bomb the flames had to stand down because of the smoke and the weather.

A total of 26 aircraft had been in the air since Sunday, Nqayi said. The 198 hours already flown cost an estimated R2-million. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

River Club redevelopment is a triumph for the future of First Nations’ heritage

Right of reply to How to whitewash colonial pain and trauma, published in the Mail & Guardian 24 September

Housing activists want probe into City of Cape Town ‘spying’

The City of Cape Town admits it monitors the social-media pages of housing activists but denies that this is spying, as tensions surrounding land occupations increase

Rich vigilantes have no fear of consequences

The City of Cape Town tacitly condones it when wealthy landowners behave illegally, something that is not the case if you’re poor

High court declares the City of Cape Town’s lockdown evictions illegal

The South African Human Rights Commission and housing activists brought — and won — an application to halt lockdown demolitions of what the City of Cape Town said were unoccupied dwellings

Metro cops, SAPS clash over control

Tensions between the City of Cape Town and the police service over responsibilities mirrors the strain between national and local government

Court must declare Cape Town’s ‘inhuman’ demolitions, evictions illegal, says law centre

The city argues that it is not carrying out evictions, but is acting against land invasions
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…