To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
24 Mar 2015 17:38
The charges against Nomgcobo Jiba are in relation to her involvement in the case against KwaZulu Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen. (Gallo)
Questions remain over whether President Jacob Zuma would suspend the deputy director of public prosecutions Nomcobo Jiba after it has now emerged that she faces two charges of fraud and one count of perjury.
On Tuesday, the NPA confirmed that summons against her was issued on them and implied that she may be on the run.
“We can confirm that she has not cooperated with the police. They have called her and went to her home.
She cannot be found.
According to the summons, Jiba will have to appear in the Pretoria Regional Court on April 21.
The charges against her are in relation to her involvement in the case against KwaZulu Natal Hawks head Johan Booysen.
In February last year, Durban High Court Judge Trevor Gorven found that Jiba’s decision to prosecute Booysen was unconstitutional and invalid.
Jiba, who was then acting national director of public prosecutions (NDPP), charged Boysen with murder and racketeering in relation to the Cato Manor Organised Crime Unit which was accused of being a death hit squad.
Mgobhozi said NDPP Mxolisi Nxasana received the summons in the capacity as Jiba’s employer.
“He has been trying to call her all day and he can’t get hold of her,” he said.
DA shadow minister of justice Glynnis Breytenbach said Jiba acted with complete impunity.
“While it is understandable that the charges have taken some time to frame and process, it completely beggars belief as to why the President has not yet suspended Jiba,” she said in a statement.
Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj was unavailable to comment on whether Zuma would suspend Jiba.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?