Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Sapa clarifies concerns over deletion of database stories

Sapa chairperson Minette Ferreira has clarified the organisation’s position on the deletion of stories from subscribers’ archives.

The organisation said that only subscribers who are carrying a database of Sapa stories are compelled to delete them. Subscribers who have published single stories, which now sit in archives, will not have to delete these stories.

“At its recent meeting, the Sapa board became aware of a letter that has been sent to you by the Editor of Sapa regarding the deletion from all subscriber media platforms, archives, and storage facilities the content that had been supplied to you in terms of your agreement with the company,” Ferreira said in a statement.

“After considering this letter, and although the action called for is in line with the agreements subscribers have with Sapa, the board feels that there is a need for it to clarify the situation regarding the Sapa content that has been supplied to you.  What the intention of the agreement is, is that if a subscriber is carrying a database of Sapa stories, i.e. a detailed and substantial archive of content substantially in the format that it was sent by Sapa to subscribers, then this archive needs to be deleted. 

“The intention is not that subscribers delete content received from Sapa which has been published in single stories within their print or other products,” the statement said. 

The deletion requirement applies only in cases where subscribers might have collected and assembled a stand-alone database of separate Sapa stories, which may include stories that might not even have been published by the subscriber.  

“While the board has agreed that you need not remove the content unless it is held within an separate archive or database, it is important to note that content which includes Sapa copyrighted content, and in particular that which includes copyrighted AP, AFP and dpa content supplied through Sapa’s news subscription service has been sold to the recent purchaser of the Sapa assets including the archives,” Ferreira said.

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

Nersa approves Karpowership generation licences

The Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse has questioned why Nersa has not immediately provided its reasons for issuing the controversial generation licences

With its industrial base decimated, SA’s economy needs real change...

Speaking at a book launch on Tuesday, the finance minister said a focus on manufacturing is critical to stem the country’s deepening unemployment crisis

Defence team cagey about Zuma’s health after state advised he...

The former president was absent from court, but his counsel argued that health matters be left aside, so as to hear his case for the removal of Billy Downer

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×