Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Kenya suspends bank accounts of suspected funders of terrorism

Kenya has suspended the licences of 13 Somali remittance companies following the massacre at a Kenyan university last week, Somalia’s central bank governor said on Wednesday, and Kenyan media have reported that dozens of bank accounts had been frozen.

Top of the list issued in an official government gazette notice was alleged al-Shebab commander Mohamed Mohamud, said to be the mastermind behind the university attack.

The killing of 148 students in Garissa, about 200km from the Somali border, has piled pressure on Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta to deal with the Islamists who have killed more than 400 people in the country in the past two years.

Kenya’s biggest-selling Daily Nation newspaper said on Wednesday that the government had “frozen the accounts of 85 individuals and entities suspected to be financing terrorism in the country”, including Somali money transfer companies.

Somalia’s central bank governor, Bashir Issa Ali, said the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) had notified officially 13 Somali remittance companies about the closure of accounts.

Devastating impact
He said the move would have a devastating impact on Kenya’s Somali community, which numbers just over one million people.

“It’s going to hurt Somalis in Kenya more than Somalis in Somalia. The amount of money sent from abroad to Kenya is huge,” Ali said, pointing out that many Somalis in Kenya rely on relatives abroad to pay for basic expenses, including school fees.

The owner of one Somali money transfer company said the Kenyan government had not suspended remittance companies’ bank accounts but that the CBK had instead revoked their licences.

“Last night we simply received a notice, without discussion and without informing us [beforehand],” said the owner. “This is not the way to fight terrorists.”

Kenyan Foreign Minister Amina Mohamed said on Tuesday that the East African nation was seeking additional foreign intelligence and security help after the Garissa massacre, the deadliest attack in Kenya since al-Qaeda bombed the United States embassy in 1998, killing more than 200 people. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Eskom to take over distribution, billing at troubled Free State...

The Maluti-a-Phofung local municipality owes the power utility more than R5-billion

COMING UP: Ramaphosa addresses the nation

The president will give an update on developments in South Africa's response to the Covid-19 pandemic

ANC committed to paying staff salaries, but employees are not...

ANC staffers picketed outside Luthuli House on Tuesday after months of problems with salary payments

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×