Entertainment news: Bruce Jenner to document his gender transition for reality show
Bruce Jenner to star in a new reality show
E! on Monday confirmed that reality TV star and Olympics gold-medalist Bruce Jenner will star in a new eight-part documentary series that will follow his transition from a male to a female. This documentary comes after Jenner’s recent tell-all-interview with ABC’s Diane Sawyer, where he revealed his life-long struggle with his gender and being transgender. In the two-hour-long interview, Jenner, who has been married three times to three different women, says he regards himself as a woman.
“For all intents and
purposes, I’m a woman,” says the father of 10.
He also reveals that he has “lived a lie his whole life about who he is” and that he can’t continue living that lie anymore.
“My brain is much more female than it is male,” he added. “It’s hard for people to understand that, but that’s what my soul is.” ABC reported that for decades, Jenner’s ex-wives and sister kept the secret of his gender identity struggle and quotes Jenner’s ex-wife and mother of his two children, Chrystie Scott, in a statement saying: “Someone who has lived 65 years of his life as the wrong gender has every right to live the last quarter of his life as his authentic self. I support him and so hope the world can too. I pray for his happiness for the rest of his journey.” The documentary series is set to premiere July 26.
Nineties rap group Onyx performs in SA
US hip hop group Onyx took fans back in time with their performance at the Back to the City festival, which took place on April 27 in Newton, Johannesburg. Onyx released its debut album, Bacdafucup, in 1993 and released its recent studio album, Wakedafucup, last year.
The festival featured the best of local hip hop with an impressive line-up that featured acts, KO, Riky Rick, ProVerb and Khuli Chana. The hip hop street culture festival has been running for eight years and started out in 2007 with a crowd of 3 500 and in 2014 the festival recorded a crowd of 21 000. In true celebration of Freedom day, audiences were spoiled for choice with three stages, ciphers, clothing and food stalls and a vibrant atmosphere.
#BackToTheCity2015 Onxy live on stage was dope. Confused the young bucks a bit. Shout out to Sticky Fingaz and Fredro Starr.
— loyiso gola (@loyisogola) April 28, 2015
— Lord Of The Rings™ (@funnkylee) April 27, 2015
#BackToTheCity2015 was hela dope yesterday especially the cyphers ,some people have got punchline for days
— Ronald Mkhatshwa (@Ronald_chase) April 28, 2015
— #FEETS (@eliaslethatajnr) April 28, 2015
Metro FM’s communications manager resigns
Happy Ngidi recently resigned as the station’s communications manager, The Star Early Edition reported and her resignation has raised some eyebrows. This comes after the station appointed Sibongile Mtyali as the station manager, a position Ngidi “had been eyeing”, according to The Star. The publication quoted a source that spoke to the The Star’s sister newspaper Isolezwe, saying: “her resignation has left a lot of people wondering what really went wrong” and also revealed that “Ngidi had been very hurt emotionally when the bosses told her three days before the Metro FM award that she didn’t get the position as head of the station”.
More artists unite against xenophobia
Artist Michael Elion invites the public to write their anti-xenophobia messages on the newly installed lenses on his Perceiving Freedom sculpture, which is place in Cape Town. The initiative aims to build the community by “re-establishing social cohesion and a spirit of unity”. The Perceiving Freedom sculpture, which is giant set of stainless steel spectacles art installation, was defaced in November 2014 following the public’s criticism of the artwork and how the sculpture was being used a form of advertising. Perceiving Freedom was partially sponsored by Ray-Ban eyewear manufacturer.
Musicians from KwaZulu-Natal have recorded a song titled, Dig a Little Deeper, as part of the country’s anti-xenophobia campaign and with the aim to “raise a united voice against xenophobia”, East Coast Radio reported. Dig a Littler Deeper, was written recently by Don Clarke and directed by Evan Roberts and features over 60 musicians from KwaZulu-Natal, where foreign nationals have fallen victim to xenophobic attacks. Some of the featured artists include the Junior Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Ewok, Gangs of Ballet singer and guitarist, Brad Klynsmith, Pinkie Mtshali and the Durban Gospel Choir.
Tidal is doing just fine
Hip hop artist and businessperson Jay Z, born Sean Carter, is rarely active on social media, but he recently took to Twitter to address claims that music streaming service, Tidal, is performing poorly. Jay Z posted a string of tweets, which he referred to as “stream of consciousness” with the #TidalFacts. “
“Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts”, he tweeted. Tidal launched in March 2015 and has had a change in management, which makes the rapper’s tweets seem like he is saving face. Executives at Tidal have been fired and the app’s ranking is below 700 in the App Store, Forbes reported. “The iTunes Store wasn’t built in a day. It took Spotify 9 years to be successful…”. He also shared some figures that include Tidal’s royalty rate/pay out to artists, writers and producers. He assured his critics that he, along with the Tidal team, “are here for the long haul”.
“Please give us a chance to grow & get better. #TidalFacts” Part of the company’s growth is unearthing fresh talent and going global and according to Jay Z his cousin is already in Nigeria discovering new talent.
Tidal pays 75% royalty rate to ALL artists, writers and producers - not just the founding members on stage.
— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015
There are many big companies that are spending millions on a smear campaign. We are not anti-anyone, we are pro-artist & fan. #TidalFacts
— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015
….Tidal is where artists can give their fans more without the middlemen. #TidalFacts
— Mr. Carter (@S_C_) April 26, 2015
Damon Dash loses custody of his daughters
The court recently gave US fashion designer Rachel Roy full custody of her daughters, after an ugly custody battle with her ex-husband, businessperson Damon Dash. People reported that court documents state that Dash, who is Jay Z’s former manager, did not attend the hearing despite “previously wanting full custody” of their daughters, Ava (15) and Tallulah (6). Roy and Dash accused each other of being an unfit parent: Dash claimed “Roy drove drunk with one of the girls, and threatened to cut him with a knife and she claimed he smokes weed around the kids and that all the women and drugs were a bad influence on their daughters”, TMZ reported. The court granted Dash supervised visitation.
If your patient you can’t be kept from your kids…but this processes is wack and can be avoided if you can put your children over your emotions…only thing that makes logical sense…it’s always the kids first ...it’s about what makes them happy an adult knows that…all that counts is the kids are happy or both parents lose #dumbfight ....so many other fight to have with people I know don’t love me…how do people hurt the people they love…the people that pay their bills..the most just because they are mad…or use people they love as a tool to hurt the person your mad at…just doesnt add up everybody loses…I hate fighting for no reason…waste of time and selfish #hustleforyourlastnamenotyourfirst