Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Burundi president claims early victory in elections

Polling stations had opened early on Monday and about 3.8-million people had been expected to vote in the country’s controversial parliamentary poll, according to the electoral commission.

However, turnout was low in and around the capital city of Bujumbura, partly because the election was boycotted by 17 opposition groups.

The electoral commission expects the results to be announced within three days, but it declined to comment on the turnout.

The AU and the UN have also urged that next month’s presidential election be delayed, but Nkurunziza has insisted that the vote will go ahead as scheduled on July 15.

Burundi has been in turmoil since April, when Nkurunziza said he would seek a third term, triggering weeks of protests, and an abortive military coup last month.

Nkurunziza’s opponents say his decision to stand again violates the constitution as well as a peace deal that ended a civil war in 2005.

Nkurunziza has cited a constitutional court ruling saying he can run again, although the court’s vice president, another of those who have fled, said he and others had been pressured to rule in favour of Nkurunziza.

‘Secure elections’
Dozens, including an opposition leader, have been killed in months of unrest, and the UNHCR, the UN refugee agency, says 127 000 have fled the country.

“They were thinking there is insecurity, they were thinking the situation in Burundi is not conducive for free and fair elections.

“But finally we proved to them that we can organise elections and secure elections,” said Willy Nyamitwe, spokesperson of the president.

A voter named Niyongabo Bienvenu told the Associated Press: “As a citizen of this country, it is my right to vote.

“And if you vote, you get the leadership that you want.

“You get the chance to make the changes that you want.”

‘Deeply disappointed’
Meanwhile, the international community fears the election will only make matters worse – destabilising Burundi and a wider region beyond its borders.

The AU withheld its monitors in a gesture of denying the legitimacy of the election results. It also hinted at further actions.

“Once the elections take place in complete defiance of the African Union and the international community, I guess the organs won’t sit and will make proper calls when the time comes,” said Jacob Enoh Eben, spokesperson of the AU Commission.

The US is “deeply disappointed” in Burundi’s decision to go through with parliamentary elections on Monday despite calls for a postponement, the State Department said.

Spokesperson Mark Toner told reporters there were “woefully inadequate conditions for free and fair elections” in the central African nation.

The post Burundi president claims early victory in elections appeared first on African Media Agency.

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Court judgment about alien fish is about more than trout...

Judge finds that public participation in democratic processes is not the exclusive preserve of the privileged few who have access to the internet and can read English

Marikana victims mull complaint against Judge Lamont after civil case...

Judge Colin Lamont withdrew from the case because of his shares in the mining company Sibanye

More top stories

Court judgment about alien fish is about more than trout...

Judge finds that public participation in democratic processes is not the exclusive preserve of the privileged few who have access to the internet and can read English

Matric exam timetable changes to accommodate elections

Moving the national senior certificate exams forward also allows matrics who are old enough to cast their ballots on 1 November

Duarte threatens to remove North West’s Chauke from interim provincial...

The ANC deputy secretary general wants the national executive committee members in the province to assess the suitability of the IPC coordinator

The R15.3-million Limpopo ‘shack’ tender was earned fraudulently – SIU

The SIU is trying to recover R2.5-million from a housing tender as part of its investigation into corruption during the Covid-19 state of disaster
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×