Africa’s Ebola outbreak has not run its course – UN envoy

The worst recorded outbreak of the Ebola virus has killed more than 11 000 people across West Africa since late 2013, but had abated in recent months. A new flare-up in Liberia is seen as a setback in the fight against it.

“The battle can be won, but it requires sustained effort, very careful negotiation with communities and perfection in follow-up of everybody who has been a contact,” David Nabarro, a medical doctor who is organising the United Nations’ response to Ebola, told a media briefing in Cape Town.

He said under normal circumstances an infection rate of 30 people a week would be considered “a major, major outbreak”.

“Probably about one third of these people are not coming from the contact list, which means they are surprise cases, and that’s a big worry,” Nabarro told a conference organised by the World Health Organisation.

Infection rates are down from the peak of the crisis. But Liberia reported a 17-year-old boy tested positive for the virus on June 30 – almost two months after the country was declared free of Ebola.


Liberia, the country worst hit by the outbreak, had been hailed as an example for neighbouring Guinea and Sierra Leone, which are also struggling to stop the spread of the disease.

Communities forgetting ‘avoid body contact’ rule
Olawale Maiyegun, social affairs director at the African Union Commission, said it seemed communities were forgetting a key “ABC” or “avoid body contact” rule and becoming complacent.

“Where is the ABC rule? I saw people dancing together, I was alarmed in (Sierra Leone’s capital) Freetown,” Maiyegun told journalists at the same briefing.

The Ebola outbreak has galvanised a global response. Last week donor countries pledged another $3.4-billion in addition to $1.8-billion of unspent money in an effort to eradicate a disease that has wreaked economic and social havoc. – Reuters

Medicins Sans Frontiers (MSF) or Doctors Without Border, released a statement saying that although Ebola has faded from the news headlines, the epidemic in West Africa continues to claim lives.   

Infection rates are indeed down from the peak of the crisis last year and progress has been made in the fight against Ebola. Ongoing infections in the capitals Freetown and Conakry, and deaths from Ebola still found too late in the community, remain of high concern. Getting the numbers of cases from hundreds to 30 per week took considerable time and massive resources from all involved. 

However, getting from 30 cases to zero will require the most meticulous, difficult work of all, said the statement.  

Last week, MSF International President Dr Joanne Liu declared: “We have seen so many reports calling for change, with everyone focused on how to improve future responses to outbreaks and meanwhile, with new Ebola cases each week in the region, we still don`t have the current epidemic under control. On Ebola, we went from global indifference, to global fear, to global response and now to global fatigue. We must finish the job.” – Reuters, MSF

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Wendell Roelf
Wendell Roelf has over 48 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday