Meyer: Future for Boks bright, despite World Cup exit

After losing 20-18 to New Zealand in the semi-finals on Saturday, the Springboks have to playoff against Argentina for third place.

Coach Heyneke Meyer left no-one with any doubts about his feelings on the fixture at London’s Olympic stadium on Friday.

“It’s mentally very, very tough because it doesn’t mean anything to me. It’s like kissing your sister,” he said.

“The only thing that counts is being world champs, everything else is loser talk.”

While he may not be overly enthusiastic about the playoff match, Meyer was upbeat about the future of the Springboks, saying he was hugely impressed by the way some of his younger players have performed during the tournament.

“If you look at the guys in this team, 80 or 90 percent of them can make the next World Cup,” he said.

“I really believe this team can go places. This will be one of the best teams heading forward.

“A lot of these guys will be the [Dan] Carters of tomorrow and world beaters. That makes me really excited for the future of rugby in South Africa.”

Meyer was less forthcoming about his own long term future. The 48-year-old took over as Springboks coach in 2012 with the job of taking them through to the World Cup but has not said whether he will remain in charge.

“You must ask SA Rugby,” he told reporters.


“You can see how grey I am but I have always said I am here to serve. I’m just thinking about today. I only wanted to make the country proud – not of me but the team.

“I take it personally and there are one or two calls I will reflect on but it’s been a huge honour to serve my country.

“If you lose I don’t care if it’s by one point or by 50 points. It’s painful if it’s one point or 100 points. All credit to the All Blacks.” – AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday