Post Office wins court order against strike

The South African Post Office (Sapo) has won an urgent court interdict to halt planned strike action on Thursday.

On Wednesday, the Communication Workers Union said at a media briefing that it was planning a march involving an estimated 4 000 Gauteng postal workers in Johannesburg.

The union issued demands to convert all Sapo contract workers to permanent employment, payment of outstanding back pay, 10% salary increases for the current financial year, a halt to changes in workers’ terms and conditions of employment, and a “total stop to piecemeal salary payments”.

Union members expected to submit a memorandum to Gauteng Premier David Makhura outlining more demands for government to bail out Sapo and release a Special Investigative Unit (SIU) report on corruption at the post office.

The union has called additionally for the public protector to release a report on corruption at Sapo.

But the post office has poured cold water over the union’s strike plans.

“The Labour Court has granted a final order against the industrial action which CWU has scheduled for tomorrow,” said Sapo on Wednesday afternoon.

“The Communication Workers Union [CWU] has been interdicted and restrained from striking and marching to, and/or picketing at the South African Post Office’s work premises; including the head office, retail outlets, mail centres, depots, regional office and hubs tomorrow, 29 October 2015 … This order effectively makes any strike, march and/or picket unlawful and illegal.”

But the union said in response to the court interdict that it was consulting its legal team and still plans to go ahead with the march, even it just passes by post office buildings to the offices of the public protector and Gauteng legislature in Johannesburg.

“The strike is not off,” said union provincial spokesperson Veli Zulu.

The union said earlier on Wednesday that its intended march was planned before the advent of Sapo’s problems with paying salaries.

Over the past week, Sapo has announced publicly that its negative financial position meant it was struggling to pay full salaries. The post office paid staff 70% of their salaries last week and planned to pay the remaining 30% on Wednesday. – News24.com

Advertisting

‘Judge President Hlophe tried to influence allocation of judges to...

Deputy Judge President Patricia Goliath accuses Hlophe of attempting to influence her to allocate the case to judges he perceived as ‘favourably disposed’ to former president Jacob Zuma

SAA grounds flights due to low demand

SAA is working to accommodate customers on its sister airlines after it cancelled flights due to low demand

Isabel dos Santos did not loot Angola alone

Once again, Western auditing and consulting firms shamelessly facilitated corruption on an international scale

Lekwa municipality won’t answer questions about why children died in...

Three children are dead. More than a dozen homes have been gutted by fires in the past six months. And, as...
Advertising

Press Releases

Upskill yourself to land your dream job in 2020

If you received admission to an IIE Higher Certificate qualification, once you have graduated, you can articulate to an IIE Diploma and then IIE Bachelor's degree at IIE Rosebank College.

South Africans unsure of what to expect in 2020

Almost half (49%) of South Africans, 15 years and older, agree or strongly agree that they view 2020 with optimism.

KZN teacher educators jet off to Columbia University

A group of academics were selected as participants of the programme focused on PhD completion, mobility, supervision capacity development and the generation of high-impact research.

New-style star accretion bursts dazzle astronomers

Associate Professor James O Chibueze and Dr SP van den Heever are part of an international team of astronomers studying the G358-MM1 high-mass protostar.

2020 risk outlook: Use GRC to build resilience

GRC activities can be used profitably to develop an integrated risk picture and response, says ContinuitySA.

MTN voted best mobile network

An independent report found MTN to be the best mobile network in SA in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Is your tertiary institution is accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

Is your tertiary institution accredited?

Rosebank College is an educational brand of The Independent Institute of Education, which is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.