‘Barbaric and racist’ Facebook post lands Velaphi Khumalo in hot water

The Gauteng sports, arts, culture and recreation department has started an internal disciplinary process against employee Velaphi Khumalo over his racist Facebook comments.

Acknowledging him as an employee, the department distanced itself from the “barbaric and racist utterances” made by Khumalo.

The racist remarks were his personal views and the department did not condone such hateful and disturbing racial slurs, it said in a statement on Wednesday night. 

“The department of sport, arts, culture and recreation views the hateful post by Velaphi Khumalo in a serious light,” MEC Faith Mazibuko said.

“Our key mandate is nation building and social cohesion. His sentiments take our country backwards and do not reflect what the Gauteng provincial government stands for.” 

The department has a communication policy which guides how employees must conduct themselves on social media. 

An internal process was underway to address the matter, it said.

Khumalo called for black South Africans to do to white people what “Hitler did to the Jews”. 

He said he hated all white people. 

“I want to cleanse this country of all white people. we must act as Hitler did to the Jews. I don’t believe any more that the is a large number of not so racist whit people . I’m starting to be sceptical even of those within our Movement the ANC. I will from today unfriend all white people I have as friends from today u must be put under the same blanket as any other racist white because secretly u all are a bunch of racist fuck heads. as we have already seen [all sic],” he wrote.


After numerous complaints from irate South Africans, Khumalo’s Facebook page was deleted on Wednesday. 

A charge of crimen injuria has also been laid against him. 

The SA Jewish Board of Deputies would also be laying a complaint against him with the SA Human Rights Commission, National Director Wendy Kahn said in a statement. – News24

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday