The Mail & Guardian is re-positioning itself as a publication and we are on the hunt for new reporting talent. Are you a journalist with three to five year’s experience, preferably at a national title? Do you love unearthing stories and facts that gets everyone talking, and does working quickly as well as doing indepth stories make your heart sing? If so, get in your application for one of our reporting jobs on offer. You’ll get to work for South Africa’s premier quality investigative and political news publication during a period of growth and new vision, while teaming up with some of the best journalists in the country.
We’re looking for:
- Investigative reporters
- Senior general news reporters: Cape Town and Durban-based
- Politics reporters
- Court reporter
- Education reporter
- Maintain strong networks and contacts within your beat
- Keep up to date with developments within your beat and actively pursue news breaks
- Produce four to five strong pieces for Mail & Guardian platforms once a week.
- Write at least one lead potential piece once a month.
- Deliver a diary once a week with compelling ideas.
- Contribute to special editorial projects and editions as needed.
- Contribute to multimedia and social media projects as needed.
Required skills and experience
- Knowledge of media law and ethics
- First-class English language skills
- A firm grasp of current affairs, especially locally
- A thorough understanding of the Mail & Guardian news brand
- Strong organisational skills
- A strong network of contacts
- Experience at a national news publication
Characteristics and competencies:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Exceptional planning and implementation skills
- Ability to work accurately under pressure
- Able to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical ability
Required qualifications: A degree in Journalism or similar qualification
Remuneration: Negotiable depending on experience
The appointment will be made in line with the M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and the remuneration will commensurate with the position. Applicants must be based in Johannesburg unless otherwise stipuated. Applications should be addressed to Agness Jura-Ganje, and emailed to [email protected]