Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

University of Free State suspends lectures after Varsity Cup violence

The University of Free State on Monday announced that it was suspending academic activities.

An SMS sent to students read: “UFS Bfn Campus closed 23-24 Feb 2016 due to strike and protest. Safety of staff and students our priority.” 

Students had apparently gone on the rampage and vandalised two men’s hostels. Unconfirmed allegations from insiders were that white students were being assaulted on campus. 

This comes after a video, reportedly taken on campus on Monday afternoon, showed rugby players and supporters assaulting a group of protesters who had gone on to the field, disrupting the FNB Varsity Cup rugby match between the UFS Shimlas and the Madibaz. 

Students who had taken part in the #OutsouringMustFall movement later released a statement condemning the violence. 

“Workers were protesting today demanding the implementation of last year’s agreement to end outsourcing and demanding the reinstatement of Trevor Shaku, a leader of #OutsourcingMustFall and the Socialist Youth Movement, who was dismissed from his post as a research assistant at the university for his role in the campaign,” the students said. 

Struggle and solidarity
The students alleged that the UFS management, colluding with the police, were trying to dismantle the campaign and intimidate workers and students.

It was alleged that 34 students had been arrested following disruptions at the university. 

The protesting students have called on white students to support them in their cause. 

“One of the best features of the #FeesMustFall movement was the unity of black and white. Struggle and solidarity overcame racial divisions.

“We call on white students to mobilise alongside their black brothers and sisters to protest against reactionary attempts to divert this class struggle into a racial conflict,” the students said. 

The University of Free State did not immediately provide further details on the situation. – News24

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

First-of-its-kind rangeland atlas pushes for protection

Rangelands are ‘nature’s gift to humanity’, but have been overlooked, neglected

More top stories

Court refused murder-acused Kilian’s application for particulars, bail dates are...

Zane Kilian has been denied further information into the charges against him, which include murder, unlawful interception of communications and fraud

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

MKMVA accuse top six of being factional in collapsed meeting

A defiant MKMVA has vowed it is business as usual, after a meeting with the top six ended with the military veterans being kicked out of the virtual platform

Gumede graft trial likely to begin only in July next...

The state has added racketeering to the charges faced by the former eThekwini mayor and 21 others, but logistics are likely to delay their trial until mid-2022
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×