Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

More UN peacekeepers accused of sex crimes

A group of 11 Tanzanian peacekeepers accused of sexual exploitation and abuse in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) also face paternity claims from their alleged victims, the United Nations said this week.

Troops from the mission’s Force Intervention Brigade in the village of Mavivi in the eastern DRC have been confined to their base camp pending an investigation, Stéphane Dujarric, a spokesperson for UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon, said.

Unlike other international peacekeeping troops, the brigade has an unprecedented mandate to take military action to neutralise and disarm rebel groups to help end the DRC’s long-running conflict.

Dujarric said the 11 accused peacekeepers included four from the mission’s current deployment and seven from a previous contingent.

Meanwhile, the first soldiers to appear in court over the wider sex abuse scandal went on trial in the DRC on Monday. The three Congolese men from the UN’s Minusca peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic (CAR) wore blue prison gear as they appeared before the tribunal in Ndolo, a military prison north of the capital, Kinshasa. They are the first troops to be prosecuted.

Another 18 soldiers from the DRC who are accused of the rape – or attempted rape – of the civilians they were meant to be protecting during a peacekeeping mission in the CAR were also present in the court.

“We want absolute transparency in this trial,” the country’s justice minister, Alexis Thambwe Mwamba, told AFP, adding that “a few individuals cannot discredit our army”.

The UN has been in the spotlight for months over allegations of sexual abuse by its peacekeepers, especially those in the DRC and the Central African Republic.

On Thursday, the UN said more than 100 girls and women had come forward with new sexual abuse accusations against peacekeepers in the CAR.

The UN’s mission in the DRC announced last week that it had received allegations of sex with minors and sex for pay against the Tanzanians, and that a response team had been sent to investigate. The UN said it would provide medical and psychosocial support to the victims.

Dujarric said it was impossible to say whether more allegations against the Tanzanian contingent could surface. But he encouraged anyone who had information about alleged abuses to come forward.

The 20 000-strong DRC peacekeeping mission began in 1999. The conflict there is a spillover from the 1994 genocide in neighbouring Rwanda.

Hundreds of Hutus who participated in the mass slaughter escaped into the DRC and still fight in the mineral-rich and volatile east, with other armed groups. – ©?Guardian News & Media 2016

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

R500-million Covid-19 Gauteng hospital contract was irregularly awarded — SIU

The bank accounts of Pro Service Consulting and Thenga Holdings have been frozen

More top stories

With its industrial base decimated, SA’s economy needs real change...

Speaking at a book launch on Tuesday, the finance minister said a focus on manufacturing is critical to stem the country’s deepening unemployment crisis

Defence team cagey about Zuma’s health after state advised he...

The former president was absent from court, but his counsel argued that health matters be left aside, so as to hear his case for the removal of Billy Downer

The South African Bone Marrow Registry celebrates 30 years of...

‘It’s not drilling into bones!’: Misconceptions keep donors away, says SABMR, but a match outside of a patient’s family is a needle in a haystack

New clean fuel standards could be the end of refineries...

In the absence of mechanisms to recoup investment into cleaner fuels, refineries may be faced with tough decisions
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×