Pulling ‘The Editors’ another act of SABC censorship: DA

CAPE TOWN, June 7 (ANA) – The SABC’s decision to take the long-running SAFM programme “The Editors” off air was an act of blatant censorship by the public broadcaster in the run-up to the August local government elections, the opposition Democratic Alliance said on Tuesday.

“Censorship at the SABC ahead of the local government election has reached crisis proportions,” DA communications spokeswoman Phumzile van Damme said.

SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago has denied that there was any ulterior motive to canning the Sunday morning show, on which media editors discussed current affairs, after 20 years, saying it was merely done because radio programming needed to be dynamic.

But the move has drawn criticism, including from Media Monitoring Africa.

Van Damme claimed that the SABC, under the controversial direction of chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng, wanted to spare government a weekly critique of its failings ahead of polls in which it is expected to shed votes.

“The programme has been a bone of contention for the ANC for many years, as its poor record as a governing party is often discussed. Through the years the ANC has attempted to have the show canned, and failed,” she said.

“Now that Hlaudi Motsoeneng is at the helm at the SABC, the ANC has succeeded in doing so.”

She said the DA would ask Parliament’s portfolio committee on communications to demand a briefing by the SABC’s senior management, despite the legislature being in recess until after the elections.

The decision to can “The Editors” follows a recent decision by the SABC to stop screening footage of violent protests and the axing of Vuyo Mvoko’s “On The Record” talk show, allegedly because he was preparing to host a discussion on the influence of the Gupta family on executive decisions.

– African News Agency (ANA)


Disclaimer: This story is pulled directly from the African News Agency wire, and has not been edited by Mail & Guardian staff. The M&G does not accept responsibility for errors in any statement, quote or extract that may be contained therein.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday