Top40 mining companies lost R27bn collectively in 2015, says PwC

JOHANNESBURG, June 7 (ANA) – Accounting firm PwC on Tuesday revealed that world’s biggest top 40 mining companies made a collective net loss of $27 billion in 2015 with market capitalisation falling by 37 percent.

PxC said these loses effectively wiped out all the gains made during the commodity super cycle.

According to PwC’s annual mine report released on Tuesday, 2015 was a race to the bottom with many new records set by the world’s 40 largest mining companies.

The report analysed 40 of the largest listed mining companies by market capitalisation.

Michal Kotzé, mining industry leader for PwC Africa, said last year was undoubtedly challenging for the mining sector.

“The Top 40 experienced their first ever collective net loss, their lowest return on capital employed, a significant drop in market capitalisation, and an overall decline in liquidity with the result that the Top 40 were more vulnerable and carrying heavier debt loads than in prior years,” Kotzé said in a statement.

Kotzé added that while many miners may be down, “they are certainly not out”.

“We are also seeing shareholders persist with a short-term focus, impacting the capital available for investment and, as a result, constraining options for growth.”

The PwC report found that investors punished the Top 40 for poor investment and capital management decisions, and in some quarters for squandering the benefits of the boom.

The PwC 2016 Mine Report also found China was “not the industry hero”.

“While China is still critical to the success of the mining industry, accounting for about 40 percent of overall commodity demand, it can no longer be relied on to supercharge returns,” Andries Rossouw, assurance partner at PwC said.

“As the country moves from a manufacturing based economy to a services-based economy the previously rampant demand for commodities will still not resume with the same intensity. Despite this shift, the number of Chinese mining companies in the Top 40 continued to increase from nine to 12.”

– African News Agency (ANA)

Disclaimer: This story is pulled directly from the African News Agency wire, and has not been edited by Mail & Guardian staff. The M&G does not accept responsibility for errors in any statement, quote or extract that may be contained therein.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Ndabeni-Abrahams lockdown debacle: What we know

The minister has to answer to the president after a picture was posted of her apparently breaking lockdown rules

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world