ANC welcomes IEC Concourt judgment

The ANC has welcomed the Constitutional Court judgment that the local government elections on August 3 go-ahead, despite the Independent Electoral Commission’s failure to record addresses of voters being unconstitutional.

The ruling party said in a statement that the judgment reaffirms its long held view that in South Africa’s democratic dispensation no citizen would be denied the hard won right to vote or be disenfranchised in anyway.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng said that this was an “exceptional case” warranting an extraordinary remedy in order to avoid a constitutional crisis, and has provided the IEC with at least 18 months to “get its house in order”. 

The IEC had filed an urgent application with the Concourt to obtain leave to appeal the Electoral Court’s decision earlier this year. The Electoral Court ruled that the IEC’s electoral officer must provide copies of the voters roll to political parties, “which includes the addresses of voters, where such addresses are available”, as described in Section 16(3) of the Electoral Act.

This after independent candidates in Tlokwe’s 2013 by-election approached the Electoral Court to halt elections after they objected to the voter registration process. They also found that the voters’ roll had some registered voters with no addresses in their respective wards, making it “difficult” to campaign, the candidates said at the time. The Constitutional Court ruled that those by-elections were not free and fair.


The ANC said that it acknowledges and supports the need for improvements in the collection and registration of personal details of all voters – residential addresses in particular – in preparation for all elections. 

Meanwhile, the Democratic Alliance said that the judgment is a “victory for the voters”. The party said that the judgment validated its argument that an election cannot be free and fair unless the voters’ roll can be trusted. 

“The voters’ roll cannot be trusted unless it contains particulars sufficient to confirm that each voter is entitled to vote in his or her particular district,” the DA said in a statement.

The DA said that it is critical that the IEC moves from being a passive observer of elections to becoming a robust Chapter Nine institution that can guarantee free and fair elections.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

How lottery execs received dubious payments through a private company

The National Lottery Commission is being investigated by the SIU for alleged corruption and maladministration, including suspicious payments made to senior NLC employees between 2016 and 2017

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

More top stories

Egypt, Seychelles get first jabs

The two countries have rolled out China’s Sinopharm vaccine, but data issues are likely to keep some countries from doing the same

Fashion’s future is bricks and clicks

Lockdown forced reluctant South African clothing retail stores online: although foot traffic in brick-and-mortar stores remains important in a mall culture like ours, the secret to success is innovation

What the Biden presidency may mean for Africa

The new US administration has an interest and much expertise in Africa. But given the scale of the priorities the administration faces, Africa must not expect to feature too prominently

Zuma, Zondo play the waiting game

The former president says he will talk once the courts have ruled, but the head of the state capture inquiry appears resigned to letting the clock run out as the commission's deadline nears
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…