State prosecutors will head to Supreme Court of Appeal to challenge Oscar Pistorius murder sentence

State prosecutors will approach the Supreme Court of Appeal for leave to challenge Oscar Pistorius’ six-year murder sentence after failing with a similar bid at a lower court, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Thursday.

State prosecutors, led by advocate Gerrie Nel, will file an application to appeal on Friday, NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku said.

Judge Thokozile Masipa dismissed a request by state prosecutors to appeal Pistorius’ sentence last month, saying she was not persuaded that there was a reasonable prospect of success at another court.

Pistorius was sentenced to six years in prison after being found guilty of murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on appeal last December. He had initially received a five-year sentence for culpable homicide in 2014.

The jail term was less than half the 15 years sought by prosecutors, who said Pistorius had shown no remorse for the 2013 shooting. – Reuters


Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Come what may, the UIF will pay

The fund – the main safety net for unemployed workers – will run at an almost R20-billion deficit

‘Terrorised’ family shines a light on traditional leadership for vulnerable...

The ambiguity between traditional and constitutional leadership has been exposed by the violent banishment of an Eastern Cape family

More top stories

High court grants Dlamini-Zuma leave to appeal adverse ruling on...

The court held that the ongoing state of disaster meant there was public interest in the legal test applied to measures taken to contain the pandemic

Concourt to hear Zondo commission’s application for contempt order against...

The former president has one week to file answering papers in the application that also seeks a prison sentence imposed on him

Koko maintains he had no idea he was exchanging emails...

On his fourth appearance before the commission, the former Eskom CEO maintains he was tricked into sharing company information with a third party

Zuma foundation claims ex-president was prepared to testify, but Zondo...

Zuma’s namesake organisation twists facts and the law – he told Zondo he would answer questions but only in private to the deputy chief justice
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…