Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Tokyo Sexwale to probe shock Trillian Gupta, Nenegate allegations

Tokyo Sexwale, independent non-executive chair of Trillian, plans an independent investigation in order to fully test the veracity of allegations made in a Sunday newspaper this past weekend.

The Sunday Times alleged pre-knowledge by a member or members of Trillian concerning President Jacob Zuma’s replacing of former finance minister Nhlanhla Nene by Des van Rooyen. This move by Zuma on December 9 2015 had a big negative impact on the rand and SA’s equity markets.

The newspaper claimed the firing of Nene and replacement by Van Rooyen could have been planned months in advance, according to an affidavit given to former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela by an anonymous “whistle-blower”, who apparently used to be a former CEO of a business unit at Johannesburg headquartered Trillian Capital Partners.

Trillian Capital Partners forms part of the Trillian Group, which is 60% held by Trillian Holdings, while its sole director Salim Essa, is said to be a close Gupta associate.

The company on Sunday denied any links to the Guptas. In his statement on Tuesday Sexwale also emphasised that Trillian is not Gupta-owned. He has, therefore, made the share register of Trillian Holdings available for public scrutiny.

Sexwale said he has urgently interacted with members of senior management and viewed supporting documentation. He has the full support of the board and senior management team to launch an independent investigation.

“In such a situation, if true, it would be extremely alarming and would require a convincing explanation to the nation as to how that which was only supposed to be known by the president, became known in business circles, including Trillian,” Sexwale said in the statement.

Fighting the ‘monster of corruption’

“The monster of corruption must not be allowed to take root and overwhelm the good work achieved since 1994”.

He added that verifiable evidence, however, need to be put forward.

“Good corporate governance dictates that, although the alleged matters took place last year before I joined the company in April of this year, I should initiate an independent investigation in order to fully test the veracity of these allegations,” said Sexwale.

The independent investigation is to be led by what he describes as “a trusted public person” to fully investigate the allegations in collaboration with the relevant law enforcement agencies. He expects the name of the person to lead the investigation to be announced within the next few days.

The “whistle-blower” alleged in her affidavit that she was already informed on October 26 2015 by her direct line manager, Eric Wood, at Regiments Capital that Zuma will replace Nene.

The whistle-blower reportedly said in the affidavit that Wood told her that her former colleague, Mohammed Bobat, would be appointed special adviser to Van Rooyen. Bobat was a principal at Regiments Capital in the management consulting division and reported directly to Wood, according to the whistle-blower.

Bobat was then expected to “channel all tenders from National Treasury and state-owned companies” to a team of experts that would include expertise from Trillian Capital, the whistle-blower said.

Bobat, though, has denied the whistle-blower’s claims. The whistle-blower further said that Trillian won a R5m deal for a capital raising transaction for SA Express that allegedly never went through. Meanwhile, the company also stands accused of invoicing Transnet R10m for work that “could not have taken place”.

Wood denied all allegations by the whistle-blower and described her as a “disaffected employee” and fraudster who has stolen confidential company information.

In its statement on Sunday, Trillian said “those wild and unsubstantiated allegations have extremely damaging repercussions for the reputation of an emerging and growing black-owned Financial Services Group and to that of Dr Wood”.

The company also accused the whistle-blower of being a “disgruntled former employee”. – Fin24

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R350 social relief grant not enough to live on

Nearly half of the population in South Africa — one of the most unequal countries in the world — is considered chronically poor.

More top stories

Popularity will not guarantee mayoral selection — Ramaphosa

ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa has promised a more rigorous mayoral selection process, which will involve the party’s top six

Nowhere to turn for abused bakery workers

After being chased away for asking for minimum wage, Gqeberha bakers who endured racism turned first to the CCMA, then to a political party, then to a union. None helped

Health director general suspended for alleged involvement in Digital Vibes...

After initially defending Sandile Buthelezi’s personal leave, the health department has announced that he has been placed on precautionary suspension

For many SA women, home is hell

Gender-based violence often takes place at home or in intimate relationships, taking a traumatic toll on victims, their families and friends
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×