Ex-Guantanamo detainee denied entry to South Africa

A former Guantanamo prisoner who was resettled in Uruguay but has asked to leave was denied entry to South Africa by the country’s migration authorities, a Uruguayan official said.

Jihad Diyab, a Syrian national who had planned to travel to South Africa as a tourist, will return to Uruguay on Saturday, said assistant secretary to the president Juan Andres Roballo.

Diyab had left Uruguay on Thursday and paid his own way to Johannesburg. He would have had to either return to Uruguay in 90 days or find another country to give him residency.

Diyab was held for 12 years in the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, without being charged. He was released along with five other prisoners to Uruguay in 2014 to reduce the number of detainees.

Earlier this year, he traveled through Brazil and Venezuela, and was held briefly after arriving in Caracas in July. While there, a lawyer said he asked the Uruguayan consulate to help him travel to Turkey, where he wanted to reunite with his family.

He was deported back to Uruguay and went on a hunger strike for 68 days in Montevideo, demanding to be resettled.

Uruguay has agreed to extend financial assistance to the former detainees in the country for another year.

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Reuters
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Smiso Nkwanyana: Remembering a student leader and activist

He died 19 years ago but his influence on shaping the political landscape of KwaZulu-Natal lives on

Seven leadership laws for business success

Here are seven expert tips to help you become a better leader by investing time and energy into a healthy work culture

Sanbi projects help rural women manage the impacts of climate...

Empowering women and girls to be equal players and climate change decision-makers is critical

R36-billion: The economic cost of gender-based violence

A new report delves into the view that the private sector is key to combatting violence against women and recommends that companies should include their efforts in corporate reports
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×