12 000 people set to fill up Orlando Stadium from Mpumalanga ANC

The ANC in Mpumalanga is funding the transport of more than 12 000 members to attend the party’s 105th anniversary celebration at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto on Sunday.

Supporters will be bussed in from all regions of the province to attend the rally, in what can be seen as a resounding show of support for the ruling party’s national leadership.

“We can confirm that around 12 200 people will be transported to Soweto. This is an important national event and several other provinces close to Gauteng will be doing the same thing. It’s only right that Mpumalanga shows its backing for the party,” said ANC Mpumalanga provincial secretary Mandla Ndlovu.

EFF provincial leader Collen Sedibe claimed that, according to “internal sources” the transportation would cost around R21-million. He added that his party’s investigation found that accommodation, food, alcohol and transport for ANC provincial leaders would cost around R30-million.

“We would like to know where the money is coming from. The ANC said it could not pay certain officials their salaries at the end of last year, but now they can splash out this amount for a birthday bash. It is our belief that money is being channelled from the budgets of government departments, which is corruption at its best,” Sedibe said.

Ndlovu denied the accusations, but would not confirm how much money was being spent for the event.

“It’s nonsense, the EFF must keep their noses out of everyone’s business. The money is being used from the ANC’s own funds. If we took money from the government we would be arrested on the spot,” Ndlovu said.

The ANC is hoping for a full attendance at the event, with overflow from the 40 000-seat stadium being directed to a nearby rugby stadium.

Thousands of South Africans have however taken to social media to voice their discontent with the ruling party, through the hashtag #DontFillUpOrlando. — News24

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

South Africa has been junked

Treasury says the credit ratings downgrade “could not have come at a worse time”, as country enters a 21-day Covid-19 lockdown with little money saved up

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories