Mbalula withdraws Ntlemeza’s bid to remain Hawks boss

Police Minister Fikile Mbalula has withdrawn the appeal of a high court judgment setting aside the appointment of Berning Ntlemeza as head of the Directorate for Priority Crimes Investigations (the Hawks).

Mbalula’s office confirmed in a statement that the appeal to keep Ntlemeza in his position was withdrawn in the Supreme Court of Appeal on Wednesday.

“The minister of police will on Thursday meet with the top management of the Hawks and inform them of his decision,” police spokesperson Vuyo Mhaga said.

Ntlemeza was appointed by former police minister Nathi Nhleko in December 2014. Civic organisations Freedom Under Law and the Helen Suzman Foundation approached the courts last year to have the appointment declared invalid.

After the first failed attempt, the organisations approached the High Court in Pretoria at the end of last year, arguing that the position of Hawks head required integrity and honesty, and Ntlemeza had been found wanting.


In March 2015, high court judge Elias Matojane wrote in a judgment that Ntlemeza was dishonest, lacking in integrity and dishonourable.

Shortly after being appointed minister of police in a controversial Cabinet reshuffle by President Jacob Zuma, Mbalula signalled his intention to accept the high court ruling. 

“I think in the police we are not running short of men and women, nobody is irreplaceable here. Anybody can be replaced in the police. I’m not prepared to waste time about General Ntlemeza until Christmas,” Mbalula said last week.

“We need the Hawks to dig out those criminals with bad motives who are crippling our country in terms of serious economic crimes … I’m not going to be sitting here without a head [of Hawks] and then somebody [Ntlemeza] is running around in court. I need criminals behind bars.”

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Govan Whittles

Govan Whittles is a general news and political multimedia journalist at the Mail & Guardian. Born in King William's Town in the Eastern Cape, he cut his teeth as a radio journalist at Primedia Broadcasting. He produced two documentaries and one short film for the Walter Sisulu University, and enjoys writing about grassroots issues, national politics, identity, heritage and hip-hop culture.

Advertising

Only three grades to return to school on Monday

Only grades six, 11 and R will return to school as expected, with the rest to be phased in later in the month

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday