Frustrated IEC needs R300m to collect missing addresses for voter registration

The Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) will need at least R300‑million and access to municipalities’ debtors’ books and databases to capture the addresses of people on the voters’ roll before the Constitutional Court deadline of June next year.

This month, the IEC started approaching councils for the residential addresses of voters, after only managing to reduce the number of addresses missing from the voters’ roll by 1% in the space of six months, the Mail & Guardian has learned.

The snail’s pace at which the addresses are being collected has been revealed in the commission’s latest submission to the Constitutional Court on its bid to correct defects in the voters’ roll.

After an initial voter registration drive that dropped the number of incomplete addresses by more than 30% by December last year, the commission only managed a further reduction of 1% in the following six months.

“The electoral commission recognises that … it has since then made minimal further progress. This is, in the main, because no general registration weekend has taken place in the six-month period leading up to the filing of the report,” the IEC said in its submission.


In 2016, the Electoral Court ordered the IEC to postpone by-elections in the North West town of Tlokwe after opposition parties successfully argued that the commission was compelled to provide the addresses of everyone on the voters’ roll, following allegations that the ANC had manipulated the roll.

The IEC took the decision on review to the Constitutional Court, questioning whether the lack of addresses served to invalidate the entire voters’ roll.

On June 16 2016, the court ordered the IEC to collect the addresses of everyone who appeared on the voters roll after December 2013, and directed it to provide progress reports every six months. By the end of May this year, little progress had been made.

“The percentage of registered voters without a (any) recorded address on the voters’ roll has been reduced to 11% from 13%. This means that there remain 2 909 294 registered voters without a (any) recorded address on the voters’ roll,” read the latest IEC report to the court.

The IEC said it will also “consider procuring commercial sources of address information linked to individuals”, but warned that a similar effort in the Tlokwe municipality in the North West last year had yielded some unusable information.

The IEC said the best way to capture all voters’ addresses before the June 2018 deadline would be voter registration weekends. However, this would cost an estimated R300‑million for every such weekend, including the opening and staffing of each of the 22 612 voting stations across the country.

“For that reason, general registration weekends normally only take place in the run-up to countrywide elections,” the IEC added.

Aside from the voter registration weekends, the IEC’s proposed alternative solution would see it miss the court’s June 30 2018 deadline.

The IEC confirmed that it has already written to the treasury asking for funds to conduct the registration drives and suggested to the court that it does not foresee how the deadline will be met without the money.

If the treasury agrees to fund the additional registration drives, the IEC would be able to use new voter registration technology, which would eliminate paper forms and see a migration to a digital registration system complete with a GPS system using Google Maps.

The old “zip-zip” machines used to scan forms and produce barcodes have been in use for 10 years and a tender to replace them is due to be advertised this month.

Densely populated informal settlements and rural areas have been the most problematic areas for capturing address details, the IEC said.

In its court submission, the IEC said it would be able to definitively say by December whether it will meet the deadline.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Govan Whittles

Govan Whittles is a general news and political multimedia journalist at the Mail & Guardian. Born in King William's Town in the Eastern Cape, he cut his teeth as a radio journalist at Primedia Broadcasting. He produced two documentaries and one short film for the Walter Sisulu University, and enjoys writing about grassroots issues, national politics, identity, heritage and hip-hop culture.

Related stories

ANC starts up its engine for 2021 race

The party seems to have abandoned plans to delay municipal polls as branches shift to election mode

IEC ready for elections despite budget and Covid setbacks

The Electoral Commission of South Africa said next year's local government elections will go ahead despite the pandemic as it has plans in place to keep employees and voters safe

IEC fields elections integrity queries

The IEC said it would be conducting an audit of votes cast at a sample of voting stations to establish whether double voting did, in fact, occur.

IEC upholds one list objection — against PAC candidate

The IEC announced on Tuesday that only one of the 52 objections it received was upheld

ANC rejects public’s list objections

The decision by the electoral commission will make or break the party’s voting trajectory

Mbalula says ANC lists can still change

The Electoral Commission will listen to objections to names on electoral lists in some circumstances
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Fifteen witnesses for vice-chancellor probe

Sefako Makgatho University vice-chancellor Professor Peter Mbati had interdicted parliament last month from continuing with the inquiry

Constitutional Court ruling on restructuring dispute is good for employers

A judgment from the apex court empowers employers to change their workers’ contracts — without consultation

Audi Q8: Perfectly cool

The Audi Q8 is designed to be the king in the elite SUV class. But is it a victim of its own success?

KZN officials cash in on ‘danger pay for Covid-19’

Leadership failures at Umdoni local municipality in KwaZulu-Natal have caused a ‘very unhappy’ ANC PEC to fire the mayor and chief whip
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday