Education MEC and St John’s community seek expulsion of racist teacher

A prestigious private boys’ school, St John’s College (SJC) in Johannesburg, has found a senior teacher guilty of numerous racist remarks directed at learners. But learners, old boys, and parents believe he got off lightly. Concerned parents have asked the Gauteng education MEC to intervene, and he will visit the school on Friday.

UPDATE: The teacher involved has been forced to resign.

The racist remarks the teacher directed at learners included:

  • Telling black students that they only do well when they sit next to white learners;
  • Openly stating that he dislikes A-level learners because there they have too many “foreigners” and calling them “aliens”;
  • Telling a black learner “You’re beginning to think like a white boy” when he scored high on a test;
  • Calling all Indians in his class ‘nawab;
  • Other racially charged insults against East-Asian and Greek learners;

Following an internal disciplinary hearing, the teacher stepped down from the senior positions he held, had his salary and benefits reduced must be part of an ongoing “restoration” process. Learners who came forward said they were also made to sign a confidentiality agreement to not speak out on the teacher’s remarks. The school, however, denies that learners were asked to sign this.

Spokesperson for the Gauteng department of education Steve Mabona, told the Daily Vox that the MEC rejects SJC’s disciplinary decision and would accept nothing less than the teacher’s expulsion.


“We are going there tomorrow at 9 o’clock to talk with school executives to find out their rationale and we’ll take it from there,” said Mabona.

Learners told the Daily Vox the teacher has a history of making racist and discriminatory comments. They said previous learners were too afraid to take up the matter with the school executive out of fear of victimisation. One learner, who asked to remain anonymous, said the consensus among his peers is that they are unhappy with the outcome and feel that the teacher’s security has been prioritised above the students’.

“St John’s stated that he ‘received the maximum penalty sans dismissal’ because he stepped down as senior housemaster. What that means is that he gets off with a lighter sentence only because he was in a position of authority,” the learner told The Daily Vox.

In October 2016 sworn statements from learners were presented to the headmaster, Paul Edey, by the prefect body and other members of staff with the intent that an investigation would be launched into the teacher’s conduct. Learners and parents said that it was only after pressure from parents and staff that Edey agreed to institute a formal disciplinary process. The school said it could not provide further details on this due to a confidentiality agreement, but that due process was followed.

Markus Trengove, a former SJC learner, told the Daily Vox that he’d been following the investigation process since last year and that the school had not acted in the interest of its learners. He said he was reliably informed that the teacher continued to racially abuse boys in his class after the allegations came to light.

“These boys have had to suffer public humiliation, but the school has denied it public vindication. It has tied them up in confidentiality agreements and hired a firm of spin-doctors to protect their reputation,” said Trengove.

The school has set up a communications team to deal with media interest, including working with Flow Communications, “a reputation management firm”.

In a letter sent to the Gauteng MEC of education, Panyaza Lesufi, concerned parents asked him to establish an independent body to investigate the racial discrimination occurring at the school, along with a safe forum where learners feel comfortable to raise issues of concern.

The parents took issue with the teacher’s disciplinary process, saying parents and guardians were not informed that their children were asked to present evidence while being interrogated by the teacher in question. The school denies that parents were not asked for their consent. The parents also said legal representation for the learners was hired by the school, so it presents a conflict of interest as the school is footing the bill and the lawyers have no obligation to the learners. SJC confirmed that they provided legal counsel for the learners.

SJC told the Daily Vox it was aware that a group of parents wrote to Gauteng Education MEC and that it has responded to the MEC through its governing body, ISASA, assuring him of its commitment to transformation.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Parktown Boys’ High principal fired for tragic death of Enoch Mpianzi

Malcolm Williams was found to have sent schoolboys on an unauthorised trip and failed to ensure the correct roll-call procedures were followed

Teacher union to join Cosatu strike over ‘uncaring employer’

Sadtu has accused the state of being an “uncaring employer” for failing to pay salary increases due two years ago

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend

ANC still at odds over how to tackle leaders facing serious graft allegations

The ANC’s top six has been mandated to work closely with its integrity committee to tackle claims of corruption against senior party members

Teacher unions know their power — and how to use it

After unions demanded that schools be closed this week, the department has said it is the cabinet’s prerogative to decide whether schools should close

Most Gauteng, Western Cape schools in hotspots

Out of more than 25 000 schools in the country, 8 047 were in hotspots and 6 995 of these were public schools. And most of Gauteng’s and the Western Cape’s schools are in hotspots
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Durban city manager says NPA erred in his bail conditions

The corruption-fraught metro is coming to grips with having a municipal manager who is on bail for graft, yet has returned to work

Why anti-corruption campaigns are bad for democracy

Such campaigns can draw attention to the widespread presence of the very behaviour they are trying to stamp out — and subconsciously encourage people to view it as appropriate

Tax, wage bill, debt, pandemic: Mboweni’s tightrope budget policy statement

The finance minister has to close the jaws of the hippo and he’s likely to do this by tightening the country’s belt, again.

SA justice delays extradition of paedophile to UK

Efforts to bring Lee Nigel Tucker to justice have spanned 16 years and his alleged victims have waited for 30 years
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday