Mugabe’s looming Cabinet reshuffle a ‘bedroom affair’ – opposition

President Robert Mugabe’s forthcoming Cabinet shake up has been described as a “bedroom” affair meant to prepare his controversial wife for a takeover by axing those opposed to her, says a report.

The Morgan Tsvangirai-led Movement for Democratic Change (MDC-T) party says that instead of a Cabinet reshuffle, the veteran leader should just step aside and “save the country from 37 years of bondage,” reports NewZimbabwe.com.

MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu added that the reshuffle was “a joke that isn’t funny”.

He also called on the veteran leader to step down as he was “simply the biggest stumbling block to Zimbabwe’s long overdue social-economic and political regeneration”.

The spokesperson of the Welshman Ncube-led MDC, Kurauone Chihwayi, said that President Mugabe’s administration was packed with “lazy, corrupt and incompetent people”.

He said: “In my view it is clear that this is Mugabe’s bedroom reshuffle meant to crush those opposed to his wife, this has nothing to do with performance but more to do with factional wars in the ruling party.”

According to reports, President Mugabe told a Zanu-PF youth gathering that he was likely going to reshuffle his Cabinet this week as criticism intensifies around a deputy long viewed as his successor.

Poisoning claims

The world’s oldest head of state rarely changes his Cabinet. But, media speculation was that the focus was on one of Zimbabwe’s vice presidents, Emmerson Mnangagwa, accused of leading a faction angling for power.

Mnangagwa had been a close Mugabe ally since the 1970s war of independence from white minority rule. But Mugabe’s wife, Grace Mugabe, on Thursday described him as “nothing.”

Mnangagwa was appointed in 2014 after the veteran leader fired his longest-serving deputy Joice Mujuru on charges of plotting to oust him.

Reports have suggested that Mnangagwa was battling nearly similar accusations as his co-Vice President Phekezela Mphoko accused him of undermining the president’s authority by alleging he was poisoned at a political rally in August.

In a statement, Mphoko alleged that Mnangagwa was also using his poisoning scare to cause tribal divisions for political expedience within the ruling Zanu-PF party.

He added that Mnangagwa’s claim was a “calculated” challenge to President Mugabe’s “public account that Mnangagwa’s medical doctor ruled out poisoning” as the cause of his “traumatising vomiting and diarrhoea” at the August 12 rally.

This reportedly came after Mnangagwa’s loyalists accused his “Generation 40” rivals within the ruling Zanu-PF party of poisoning him in a bid to physically eliminate him from the race to succeed Mugabe, 93.

Last month, Mnangagwa issued a statement denying reports that he had eaten ice-cream from the Mugabe-owned Gushungo Dairies when he fell ill at the Gwanda rally, but did not say anything at the time regarding his alleged poisoning.

Mnangagwa, who reportedly leads a faction calling itself “Team Lacoste”, is battling against “Generation 40” to take over power from Mugabe when the nonagenarian dies or leaves office.

The Generation 40 group is beileved to be backing Grace Mugabe. – News24

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories