Raila Odinga says he will not recognise Kenyatta win

Kenyan opposition leader Raila Odinga says he will not recognise a win by President Uhuru Kenyatta on Thursday’s scheduled election re-run, as a political crisis gripping the East African country shows no sign of ending.

Odinga pulled out of the race earlier this month after claiming opposition demands to overhaul the country’s election body had not been met.

“As far as we are concerned, this is not an election,” Odinga told the Nation newspaper on Sunday.

He also ruled out contesting the outcome of the vote in court, in line with his party’s position that the upcoming vote will not be credible.

“It is not a legal matter but a political one which must be dealt with as such,” said Odinga, calling the prospect of challenging the result “a waste of time”. 

‘Further obstacles’

Kenya is holding the election re-run after the country’s Supreme Court annulled the results of an August 8 poll, following a challenge by Odinga, due to “irregularities” and “illegalities” in the electoral process.

Kenyatta had been declared the winner of that vote.

John Githongo, the country’s former anti-corruption chief, said he was not surprised by Odinga’s stance.

“It is expected,” he told Al Jazeera.

“All it does is complicate things further, and Thursday’s election will not be credible and will only result in creating further obstacles,” added Githongo.

“Elections are meant to be about nation building but this won’t be. Unfortunately, the country will not move forward.”

‘Ego dreams of one man’

Hours earlier, Kenyatta, the son of the country’s founding father, had accused Odinga of keeping millions of Kenyans in suspense.

“Kenya is not about satisfying the ego or dreams of one man (Odinga),” he told a campaign rally in Kajiado county.

“Kenyans are tired and will not allow to be put in a perpetual electioneering mode,” Kenyatta added, dismissing opposition calls that Thursday’s vote should be postponed.

The latest developments come less than a week after the resignation of a senior electoral official who fled to the United States and alleged that her staff had become the target of intimidation and threats.

Speaking from New York, Roseyln Akombe – a former commissioner at the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) – said on Tuesday that the body was “partisan” and part of the political crisis facing the country.

“The commission in its current state can surely not guarantee a credible election on 26 October 2017. I do not want to be party to such a mockery to electoral integrity,” said Akombe.

A day after Akombe’s resignation, IEBC chief Ezra Chiloba took three weeks of leave. The opposition had previously demanded Chiloba quit.

Kenya has witnessed weeks of streets protests leading to the deaths of several opposition supporters. Odinga on Tuesday called off the daily demonstrations following the killings of some of his followers.

At least four people were killed during demonstrations on Friday, according to police. —Al Jazeera 

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Border walls don’t stop viruses, but a blanket amnesty might

Why South Africa should consider amnesty for undocumented migrants in the time of the coronavirus outbreak.

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories