SABC staff set to strike ahead of ANC conference

SABC employees are set to go on a national strike on Thursday 14 December at 6am – two days before the ANC elective conference kicks off.

Members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) and the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media & Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) have notified the SABC of their intention to strike after negotiations over salary increases fell through.

The certificate issued by the CWU, ensuring their strike is protected, covers all employees of the SABC. For this reason, Audrey Tshabalala, the spokesperson of CWU, states that the union will be encouraging all employees of the broadcaster to participate in the strike.

Hannes du Buisson, spokesperson for Bemawu, says that the members of the union have rejected the SABC’s proposal of a 4.5% increase. The SABC offered its employees a 4.5% increase after the union threatened to strike last week.

The rejected 4.5% increase would only be backdated for six months, another factor the union took issue with.


Tshabalala admitted that CWU was given the same revised offer as Bemawu this morning but that anything less than inflation was viewed as an “insult” by the union. He adds that the offer would need to be backdated at least nine months, considering that the current financial year is almost over.

Du Boisson says that, while it is never nice to have a strike at the workplace, a better offer needs to be made to Bemawu’s members. Du Buisson acknowledges the timing and the importance that the elective conference holds for the country.

A sore point for the unions remains the R3.9-million payment to the interim board for their six month service. While SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago maintains that the payment to the board was approved by the Department of Communication, Tshabalala believes it is a testament of the “greed and hypocrisy,” as well as an attempt to mislead the public.

According to the respective unions, the CWU has 1400 members at the SABC, while Bemawu has 1800.

SABC spokesperson, Kaizer Kganyago, confirmed that the SABC received a notice to strike from the unions. 

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Dalaine Krige
Dalaine Krige works from Stellenbosch, South Africa. International Relations. Journalist student. Feminist. Unashamed. Disillusioned but optimistic. Dalaine Krige has over 264 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

Editorial: Political meddling won’t save the SABC

For years, in moves that harked back to the repressive regime of the Nats, the public broadcaster has been used by the party as its political football in internal factional battles, or to censor dissent.

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’

Political interference mounts over SABC retrenchments

The SABC says it needs to cut R700-million to survive. But senior politicians have allegedly interfered to stop retrenchments from proceeding

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts

The recovered remain cautious

People who have survived Covid-19 are not going through life carefree. They are still taking all the preventative measures
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

Journey through anxious Joburg

A new book has collected writing about the condition of living, yes, with a high crime rate, but also other, more pervasive existential urban stresses particular to the Global South

Football legend Maradona dies

The Argentinian icon died at his home on Wednesday, two weeks after having surgery on a blood clot in his brain

Covid vaccines: Hope balanced with caution

As Covid vaccines near the manufacturing stage, a look at two polio vaccines provides valuable historical insights

Under cover of Covid, Uganda targets LGBTQ+ shelter

Pandemic rules were used to justify a violent raid on a homeless shelter in Uganda, but a group of victims is pursuing a criminal case against the perpetrators
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…