Zuma: I’m ready to be led

In one of his last speeches as president of the ANC, president Jacob Zuma told guests at a gala dinner on Friday that he is sorry for all the mistakes he made as both leader of the governing party and the country.

He went on to assure his detractors that he holds no grudges against them and urged all ANC members to work towards unity within the 105-year-old organisation.

Zuma thanked his colleagues in the top six including presidential hopeful Cyril Ramaphosa, jokingly acknowledging that his deputy may return as his successor.

The president said he was encouraged by the number of ANC candidates vying for the top spot saying it was demonstration of the party’s maturity and democratic nature. Zuma further prompted the seven candidates to unite behind whoever won, saying the ANC should be the winner. “I know the ANC will emerge united… the ANC must be the winner.”

Through giggles, Zuma remarked, “I am a soldier… I’m ready to be led.”

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.


Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday