#ZumaMustGoNow march delayed after alleged threats

A march to Union Buildings to call for President Jacob Zuma’s resignation was delayed on Monday after organisers say they were threatened by a group of young men carrying weapons.

The march, which was announced over the weekend, was treated with disdain by both the South African Communist Party (SACP) and the ANC in Gauteng, with both parties distancing themselves from the protest.

The march was advertised in a poster on social media that used both the ANC and SACP logos.

Organisers promised that on Monday morning, a large number of protesters would arrive in 60 buses and march to Union Buildings from Burgers Park in Pretoria. But, no one has arrived at the park.

Hangwi Maumela, who says he is an ANC member in Gauteng, said that the protest would continue, but there had been threats made against protesters which delayed the start.


“The march is continuing, though we have a threat of a truck coming with boys with firearms. But we are continuing. We are going to be calling our people to come back to the venue. We are not going to go until Zuma gets out,” Maumela told the Mail & Guardian.

“We saw them. I saw the truck. They came as we were standing and they threatened us. We have the number plates and everything. We will open the case [with the police],” he said.

Maumela said the incident happened at a hotel near Burgers Park. He does not know who is responsible for the threats.

The ANC in Gauteng condemned the march in a statement over the weekend. The party questioned whether the organisers of the march, who held a press conference announcing their protest over the weekend, held legitimate membership in the ANC, and discouraged other ANC members from participating.

“The ANC calls on its members, supporters and society at large not to heed this irresponsible and reckless call by these individuals who have no mandate to speak on behalf of the ANC or any of its members and structures,” the party said.

“We have further noted that certain individuals alleged to be ANC members, clad in ANC regalia, took part in an unmandated press briefing by the individuals in question earlier today. The province has given a directive to its regions to embark on the process of verifying their membership status and to institute disciplinary actions for any transgression and violation of the ANC code of conduct.”

The ANC expressed its confidence in the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) to resolve the quagmire around Zuma’s exit from leadership.

The NEC is meeting on Monday afternoon after ANC president Cyril Ramaphosa and Zuma have been meeting during the past week to negotiate Zuma’s exit. The meeting is expected to deal decisively with either Zuma’s resignation or his recall.

UPDATE: News24 reports that the march has been cancelled because of threats levelled against the organisers.


Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘Captured’ water utility exec holes up

Thami Hlongwa seems to be in hiding after a blacklisted technology company scored millions from Umgeni Water and the owner was murdered

Step-aside guidelines are not about Ace, says Mathews Phosa

The guidelines must be ‘timeless, uniting and not capable of being abused,’ says ANC veteran

More top stories

Hlophe throws out Bongo corruption case

Former state security minister walks free after judge finds there is not sufficient evidence of attempted bribery to scupper Eskom probe

Exposing a Congolese bank’s dirty secrets

Meet Gardi Koko and Navy Malela, the two whistleblowers who risked everything to raise the alarm

Zuma tells ANC top six not to hold their breath

Former president Jacob Zuma will only meet ANC leaders if deputy chief justice Raymond Zondo recuses himself from the state capture commission

Simeone is Atlético’s secret weapon

El Cholo remains true to himself — consistent, totally committed and prepared to graft — and these values are retained by the team
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…