‘We can’t support our families’ — Workers at Gupta-owned coal mine down tools

Mineworkers at the Gupta-owned Optimum Coal Mine in Mpumalanga downed tools on Wednesday over the uncertainty of their jobs and the future of the mine.

A large group of striking mineworkers gathered at the main gate of the mine early on Wednesday morning.

Many of them were still clad in their blue overalls and safety boots. They sang songs and waited for management to address them.

Richard Mguzulu, branch secretary of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM), said staff were afraid of losing their jobs since it’s been reported in the media that the Guptas “are all over the place”.

“There is no one that is addressing us and we don’t know what is the future of the mine. We have been told suppliers have not been paid for months and that is an indication that this mine at any time, is going to close,” Mguzulu said.


READ MORE: ‘How Eskom paid Tegeta to go treasure hunting for coal’

He said they had tried several times to approach management, but their pleas fell on deaf ears.

“On the other side, the employees are pressurising us as leadership to know what the future of the mine is,” he said.

The mine’s general manager Howard Pyoos, later addressed the striking workers.

He said the Department of Mineral Resources was not aware of any possible sale of the mine because they had not filed for its transfer yet.

READ MORE: The rumoured sale of just part of the Guptas’ Optimum Coal beggars belief

The sale of mining rights required approval from the mining minister.

Pyoos told the workers that Swiss-based King Charles, who wanted to buy the mine, had already put in a deposit.

“A portion of that memorandum… required a deposit and, if the sale does not go through, that deposit must be given back to the buyer,” Pyoos said.

One of the workers in the crowd asked Pyoos about the arrest of the Guptas by the Hawks last week.

Pyoos said management could not comment on every article published in the media.

He said a meeting was supposed to take place with the leadership on Monday to discuss a way forward.

“The confirmation that we needed, that we had hoped for on Friday would be true, was not true – so we cancelled the meeting. I don’t want to communicate something which I am not sure of – whether you call me a liar or whatever, it’s fine,” he said.

Rapport reported on February 11 that Ajay was spotted at the Optimum mine on Tuesday, February 6.

Ajay landed in a helicopter at the mine with Ronica Ragavan, the chief executive of the Guptas’ holding company Oakbay Investments, who was arrested by the Hawks during raids at Gupta properties last week, in relation to a case involving the Estina dairy farm. She was later released on bail.

‘Guptas must go away’

According to the Hawks, Ajay is currently a fugitive from justice in an unrelated case.

Themba Mashele, who works as a plant operator at the mine, told News24 on Wednesday that there was no “proper equipment such as personal protection equipment” to do their jobs.

“I am very concerned about what is happening here and I am not getting paid in time. It is hard on me and I can’t even pay my debts,” Mashele said.

Mashele has been working at the mine for two years now.

Mashele said they wanted change and for the Guptas to be gone.

Mandla Ndlovu, also a plant operator at the mine, said they get paid R4 000 a month – while they used to be paid more than R6 000 in the past.

He had been working at the mine for seven years.

READ MORE: Zupta coal contracts, by the numbers

“When the Guptas came here, they dropped the rates and we can’t support our families with the rates we are getting,” Ndlovu said.

He voiced his frustration about not getting paid on time.

“[The] Guptas must go away so that things can improve at the mine,” he said. — News 24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft

Editorial: Corruption taints us all

The SIU revealed that it is investigating 658 companies that may have profited unfairly from the Covid-19 crisis. Together those companies raked in over R5-billion — money that could have been better spent plugging some of the many leaks that have imperilled South Africa’s democracy.

Bank guarantees foil Denel’s R4.5-bn Egypt contract

Loss of work is the last thing the beleaguered state enterprise needs

Gupta-linked Bobat was hired on merit, Van Rooyen tells Zondo commission

Former finance minister Des van Rooyan said he did not have Mohamed Bobat’s CV when he appointed him as a special adviser

Eskom must lead the energy shift

Any plans to change from coal-fired power to renewable and affordable electricity must include turning the power utility into a true public entity

For whom the Bell tolls

The cautionary tale of Bell Pottinger reminds us of the role of journalism in a democracy and why we owe it to ourselves to be more responsible about the media we consume
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Air pollution link in 15% of global Covid-19 deaths

Researchers have found that, because ambient fine particulate air pollution aggravates comorbidities, it could play a factor in coronavirus fatalities

Mboweni plans to freeze public sector wage increases for the...

The mid-term budget policy statement delivered by the finance minister proposes cutting all non-interest spending by R300-billion.

SAA to receive R10.5-billion government bailout after all

Several struggling state-owned entities received extra funds after the medium term budget policy speech

BMW X3 thrives in the M stable

The compact SUV is so at home with its new badge that’s it’s surprising it didn’t happen sooner
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday