Election call up for Mbeki, Motlanthe

In a bid to halt its slide at the polls, the ANC wants its former presidents and other big guns to campaign for the party ahead of next year’s make or break general elections.

The party, which held a national executive committee (NEC) elections workshop over the weekend to map out its strategy for the 2019 poll, has already issued letters of invite to former presidents Thabo Mbeki, Kgalema Motlanthe and Jacob Zuma, to participate in ANC activities in the run-up to the national and provincial elections.

Last week secretary general Ace Magashule announced the new NEC head of elections, Fikile Mbalula, who will be working with the ANC organising head, Senzo Mchunu, in leading the campaign. The party is concerned about its loss of the Metro councils in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape in the 2016 local government elections, but hopes to capitalise on the change in mood among the electorate since Cyril Ramaphosa became ANC president in December.

The ANC took 53.9% of the vote in 2016, a significant drop from 2011 and its worst showing since 1994.

In a letter sent to Mbeki on March 1, Magashule said: ‘’It is our pleasure to inform you of an NEC resolution to invite former presidents of the ANC to serve on the NEC as ex-officio members of the NEC.’’


‘’By virtue of you standing as a former president, we hereby formally extend this invitation to attend and fully participate in all meetings, programmes and activities of the NEC,’’ he said.

Zuma attended this weekend’s workshop, joining in discussions with fellow NEC members, while Thami Ntenteni, spokesperson for the Thabo Mbeki Foundation, said the former president, like Zuma recalled before the end of his second term, had received the invite this weekend.

‘’If the president is informed ahead of time and it doesn’t clash with other commitments he has, he is not averse to participating in activities of the ANC. He has said the same this himself in the past.

As a member of the ANC, as as a former president, he will participate in the activities of the organisation,’’ he said.

ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said the party would take steps to ensure ‘seamless communication’ with the former presidents going forward as the party wanted their participation in its programmes to be successful.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Paddy Harper
Paddy Harper
Storyteller.

Related stories

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

General Council of the Bar slams Zuma Foundation

Another summons has been served on Jacob Zuma at his Nkandla residence, requiring the former president to appear before the Zondo Commission next year

Zondo tightens his grip with criminal complaint against Zuma

The state capture commission’s star witness now faces a criminal complaint and another summons

Masterclasses in duck-and-dive

You didn’t need to be a genius or a prophet to predict that Bushiri would run or that Zuma would stall

Editorial: Political meddling won’t save the SABC

For years, in moves that harked back to the repressive regime of the Nats, the public broadcaster has been used by the party as its political football in internal factional battles, or to censor dissent.

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…