Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Zuma likely to challenge Abrahams’ decision to prosecute

Former president Jacob Zuma may challenge National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Shaun Abrahams after he announced that the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) will proceed with prosecution against him.

Abrahams announced on Friday that Zuma’s representations to avoid his day in court were unsuccessful and that he would be facing 16 charges of corruption, fraud, money laundering and racketeering.

Zuma’s lawyer Michael Hulley said that he had received a “terse response” from Abrahams regarding the unsuccessful representations.

READ MORE: Michael Hulley, Sassa and all the other dodgy deals

“The rationale for this decision is not clearly apparent from the communication, nor is the basis for refusal,” said Hulley.

It appears that the likely course of action is to take the NDPP’s decision on review, according to Hulley.

“This decision will however only be made after careful consideration and consultation with Mr Zuma.”

The charges were reinstated nine years after former NDPP Mokotedi Mpshe “irrationally” dropped the charges in 2009, based on the recordings of the so-called ‘spy tapes‘ presented by Zuma’s legal team.

Public prosecutions: The poisoned-chalice job

The tapes were made up of recordings of telephone conversations between then Scorpions boss Leonard McCarthy and former NPA boss Bulelani Ngcuka, which Zuma’s legal team claimed showed political interference in the decision to charge him.

Zuma was signed in as president after the charges were withdrawn. – News24

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Family wants clarity on SANDF soldier killed in friendly fire...

Corporal Simanga Khuselo join the peacekeeping mission in the DRC to save money to build his family a home

UK red list will hit SA tourism hard

More than 430 000 British tourists visited South Africa in 2019 but this dropped by 97% last year because of Covid-19

More top stories

Family wants clarity on SANDF soldier killed in friendly fire...

Corporal Simanga Khuselo join the peacekeeping mission in the DRC to save money to build his family a home

UK red list will hit SA tourism hard

More than 430 000 British tourists visited South Africa in 2019 but this dropped by 97% last year because of Covid-19

Shoprite among firms that failed in Africa, Europe, Australia

Corporate South Africa is feeling the Covid-19 pinch. But is there space for growth domestically?

SA soldiers have been fighting in a distant land for...

Troops were sent to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2001 as part of the UN peacekeeping mission that became an offensive against rebels
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×