Classes suspended as students, university security clash at UKZN

The academic programme at the University of KwaZulu-Natal has been suspended following violent clashes between campus security and students on Tuesday.

In a communique to students by registrar Simon Mokoena the university cancelled lectures until next week.

“[This is] due to the continued student protest and class disruptions while engaging the student leadership on the issues raised. All other university activities remain operational as normal.”

Violent protests broke out at the Westville campus earlier on Tuesday. A group of around 200 students disrupted lectures, demanding that their fellow students join the protest action.

The students say poor conditions at the residences and problems with the payout of some students’ National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) allowances led to the protests.


Speaking to News24, a student who did not want to be named said many non-striking students were being affected negatively.

“On one hand, our fellow students are forcing us out of lecture rooms and libraries. On the other side, the university says it is safe for us. What are we supposed to do? They are shooting students here. This is unfair.”

Another student from the Westville residence said living conditions there were deplorable.

“There has been flooding and no repairs. The roof is not fixed and we are tired of living this way. We demand more.”

Earlier in the day the university had instructed students to continue attending classes despite the disruptions.

“Groups of students are continuing to engage in violent protest action on the Westville campus today. The protesters have disrupted lecture venues and damaged property. Students and staff can rest assured that the situation is being closely monitored and contained. Please be vigilant of your surroundings and avoid areas of conflict,” read the email.

However, by 14:00 classes were suspended while university management and student leadership continued negotiations.

“The protesters are urged to desist from engaging in illegal and destructive acts, and allow space for consultation to take place.”

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Thulani Zwane said police were at the university monitoring the situation. — News24

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Kaveel Singh
Kaveel Singh
News 24 Journalist.

Related stories

Student funding scheme gets new chief executive and board

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme has been under administration for two years after its board was dissolved and its boss resigned not even halfway through his term

NSFAS is a nepotist fiefdom – staff

Employees at the student financial aid scheme have told the education parliamentary portfolio committee that the administrator did not follow procedures when people were appointed

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

The case for alumni funding

Alumni can play a pivotal role in their alma mater’s long-term success and sustainability

Auditor general points to the state’s flaws enabling Covid-19 graft

AG Kimi Makwetu’s ‘real-time’ audit of contracts and relief schemes indicate ‘a higher risk of fraud and abuse of funds’

A net to catch the NEETs

A decade of reconstruction looms post-Covid. This is our chance to restructure the economy to build a more inclusive one
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Covid-19 info lags as cases shoot up

Vital information apps and websites are outdated as cases begin to mushroom, especially near the coast, just in time for the December holidays

DA leader bought wife a car with ‘corruption’ earnings

Senior Ekurhuleni councillor Shabangu purchased a Ford SUV from an alleged R1.2-million kickback

SAA funds may need a top-up

Industry experts predict the R10.5-billion from the treasury to rescue the airline may not be enough, but the rescue practitioners say the money is enough to ‘settle the sins of the past’

Trump’s mantra of ‘fake news’ harmed media

Viewers and readers need to trust that news outlets are accurate, balanced, fair and impartial
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…