Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mantashe condemns land occupation in the Western Cape

The clashes in the Overberg town of Hermanus over land were “anarchy”, said Minister of Mineral resources Gwede Mantashe, adding that the law must take its course.

Mantashe was addressing media at the Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS) on Tuesday at the start of a two-day dialogue on land expropriation, which was prompted by the ANC’s December resolution to expropriate land without compensation.

The Hermanus community has been embroiled in a violent outbreak since last week when a group of people tried to occupy a piece of land.

“What is happening in Hermanus is anarchy, simple. Anarchy must not be allowed to flourish because if it is allowed to flourish then we will not have control of any other incident. You can’t occupy a prime development of land and call it expropriation without compensation. It is anarchy and it must be dealt with,” said Mantashe.

The by-invitation-only forum is being attended by new Rural Development and Land Reform Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, delegates from the agricultural sector, government officials, the banking sector and academics.

Nkoana-Mashabane also denounced unlawful land occupations saying there was “enough land”. “Let’s not have land grabs, because we have enough land. But can we be as methodological as we were because we have enough, enough arable land for all our people”.

While giving her keynote address Nkoana-Mashabane was adamant that she would focus on fast tracking the process of redistributing land to dispossessed South Africans saying the current legal framework already allowed for expropriation without compensation.

Nkoana-Mashabane emphasised that it was even more pertinent to “correct the original sin of making blacks feel like secondary citizens in the country” now, in 2018, as the ANC celebrates the former President Nelson Mandela’s and Albertina Sisulu’s centenary year.

“We owe it to our grandchildren to help them walk straight. This business as usual cannot continue to be … I really want to join the team that talks to doing. The talking I have seen it, all over the world.”

However, when asked by how much money her department had spent on land reform to date, she responded that more than R50-billion had been spent of which the majority benefited white South Africans.

Advocate Tembeka Ngcukaitobi, author of The Land is Ours, said the issue sporadic of land occupations and violence would continue until government addresses the structural problems of a lack of access to land.

“The real question is why are people being driven to occupy land? Ordinary South Africans are law abiding they are not criminals. It’s quite clear that the reasons they are being driven to these desperate measures is because of the abject shortage of land”.

The dialogue continues with topics for discussion including improving food security and increasing investment and the models and means by which, land issues will be addressed. 

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Tebogo Tshwane
Tebogo Tshwane

Tebogo Tshwane is an Adamela Trust financial journalism trainee at the Mail & Guardian. She was previously a general news intern at Eyewitness News and a current affairs show presenter at the Voice of Wits FM. Tshwane is passionate about socioeconomic issues and understanding how macroeconomic activities affect ordinary people. She holds a journalism honours degree from Wits University. 

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×