Jeff Radebe signs renewable energy contracts after more than two years of delays

UPDATE: 

Energy Minister Jeff Radebe has signed R55.92-billion in contracts with 27 independent power producers after more than two years of delays on Wednesday afternoon following a delay in the morning.



The deals were initially set to be signed off at around 09.30am but officials had to do more work to finalise details of the deal, a department of energy official said.

The long-awaited partnerships have been marred by numerous delays, including a last-minute court challenge last month.

READ MORE: Eskom burning through diesel again

“The signing was expected to take place this morning but has been slightly delayed. We are still finalising some details of the contracts,” said Maduna Ngobeni, project manager in the Independent Power Producer office at the department of energy.

The group of companies set to sign the contracts will generate wind power, biomass and solar energy to increase the share of clean electricity SA produces.

The signing of the deals was expected to take place last month, but hit a snag when the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa  (Numsa) and Transform RSA approached the High Court in Pretoria in an attempt to block the partnerships. Numsa had also claimed the IPP roll-out would lead to a significant increase in the cost of electricity.

READ MORE: IPP deal would be ‘financial suicide’ ― Numsa lawyer tells court

The urgent interdict application was dismissed on late March, and the case was struck the case from the roll. This enabled the signing of the agreements to go ahead.


Capacity booster

Private sector participation in the country’s electricity industry was first approved by cabinet in 2003, in a bid to boost capacity.

Independent producers would contribute up to 30% of the country’s in electricity production, and the rest would come from state power utility Eskom.

The road to the signing of the renewable energy deals faced delays well before the court challenge, after Eskom refused to sign further agreements two years ago, citing financial woes.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

Eusebius McKaiser: Two important lessons to learn about racists

The racially intolerant act to keep black people in “their place”, some even while claiming they're allies
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday